I am one lucky lady!

Oct 29, 2013
Lincolnshire
I'm lucky to be alive, this isn't a warning or anything like that, this is me rejoicing that I am still here.
Saturday night I was kicked(double barreled) in the stomach by my horse, it was a total accident, a freak of nature, a one off incident call you it what you like, but boy I'm glad I survived. The short of it was I was leading my gentle placid chap down to the yard with my daughter and her pony, we were being followed by my good friends Shetland who is a total nightmare to catch. I came up with the idea that if she followed us down loose we could lead daughter's pony into his stable and Shetland would follow in to stable and easily be caught!. What I didn't bank on was my boy spotting the other liveries horse in a stable(now my horse hates this TB with a passion, we have had a lot of problems with this TB jumping into my boys paddocks, galloping around their field and causing mayhem and injury to my two) my chap hurls towards said TB to go for him I try and yank him back with the lead rope and my boy turns and double barrels TB but unfortunately in the commotion I have been swung around to behind my chap and take the full kick. I know I know why didn't I let go of the lead rope, I don't know? Anyway I go flying through the air and land on my right side with a bang, I honestly though I was dying I couldn't breathe and I couldn't move. My daughter was screaming hysterically she thought I was dead, my friend with the Shetland went into panic mode and was running around like a headless chicken, really not good in a crisis lol. Daughter and friend call an Ambulance and off I'm whisked to hospital. After CT scan, it shows lots of internal bruising on small intestine, pancreas and the bottom of my lungs. After a couple of days in hospital I developed a temperature and after some blood tests, it shows bacteria leaking from my intestines is entering my bloodstream from the trauma.........yuck!! Also a reasonably high possibility of intestines exploding(Drs words!) now really worried, anyhow much monitoring and very high levels of antibiotics I am on the mend. The staff at the hospital were fantastic, but they can't understand why I am not having my horse shot or sold because of this.....................cause I love him I reply, most of you on here will understand why I'm not. :)

Reactions: nat17
Oh how traumatic for you!!!! Thank goodness you are still in the land of the living. These freak things happen - well, call it what you will - accidents etc. You just can never know when stuff like this is going to happen. I should imagine it all happens so fast. Hope you are on the mend - take it easy. Of course we understand why you aren't getting rid of your horse! Its probably very difficult for non horsey hospital staff to get their heads around. Lots and lots of gentle healing vibes to you. What a heck of an experience.

OMG! So glad you're OK. A sobering reminder that half a ton of horse can actually be a pretty deadly weapon. Accidents happen, FC you're home soon. xx

OMG, so pleased to hear you are on the mend, how very scary for you and your daughter to witness. These things happen they are after all only animals doing what they do. We can and have domesticate as much as we can with rules etc but at the end of the day they are not human they do not understand that us humans break quite easily.

Bless you and I hope you are home some

Bloody hell woman. What an awful accident. Hope you are feeling much much better soon. I remember when my little jazzy pony double barrelled me in the tummy and thwt was horrendous. And he was only 11 hands! Take it easy!

Horrific accident, I am so very glad you are now on the mend. Just one of those things that happen from time to time around horses, but could so easily have been fatal. Lots of healing vibes and I hope your daughter has recovered from the trauma too.

Really glad you are one the mend. What a scary experience for you and your daughter. At the end of the day, doesn't matter how good our horses are, you can take a horse out of the wild, but you can't take the wild out of a horse, sometimes they just do react and you never know when. Take care and lots of healing vibes coming your way.

Poor you, how awful. Being double barrelled by a ton of horse is horrendous.

Am pleased you are on the mend, and terrible shock for your daughter as well.

OMG! Thank god your ok!! Very scary! When sox stood on me I was in the high obs ward for a week with a damanged liver and internal bleeding into my pelvis and stomach! People were asking me why I wasn't selling him and the reason is I love him and it wasn't his fault

OMG! Thank god your ok!! Very scary! When sox stood on me I was in the high obs ward for a week with a damanged liver and internal bleeding into my pelvis and stomach! People were asking me why I wasn't selling him and the reason is I love him and it wasn't his fault

Ziggy ran over me last year - not his fault either - and by a miracle I didn't even need to be kept in, though I was very sore. So I really understand how lucky you feel! I am so glad that you are ok and on the mend.

Thanks everyone, feeling your healing vibes :) XX Exactly Lauren123, he's my friend and it was I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is still my BFG and I lurve him to bits xx

Oh My GOD.... just shows how easily accidents can happen, even with the most saint of horses. So glad you are ok ! Heres to a quick and simple recovery. x

Reactions: nat17
Well serves me right for being to optimistic and thinking I had got off lightly. Ended up back in hospital:mad: having been discharged on the Thursday, I took a turn for the worse and was readmitted on Sunday night, they released me 9days later. Turns out swollen intestine had blocked stomach off so I ended up looking pregnant as stomach was expanding as nothing could go through. Anyway much stabbing with needles and nasal tubes etc etc I have come home but unfortunately can't eat anything for another 2/3 wks until swelling has subsided so that will be nearly a month with no grub, and I lurve my food:p I have to take these revolting milkshake protein/nutrient drinks, they make me want to barf!! I would kill for a bacon butty. On the plus side Doc said I can ride whenever I'm up for it, but said to lay off doing a course at Burghley.
Bizarrely on the ward I was in there were 3 other ladies with horse riding accidents. The lady in the bed next to me her horse had reared up she fell off and had concussion, lacerations to her internal organs and a broken hip. Another her horse reared up went backwards and crushed her and finally another lady her horse horse bucked she fell off and ended up with air bubbles in her lungs. All the nursing staff kept rolling their eyes shaking their heads and muttering about nutty women riding lunatic horses, which made me smile. They get under your skin, but hey they are like Marmite you either love 'em or hate 'em!! :)

Oh my goodness - you have been through the mill. I hope that you are finally on the mend. Not eating must be terrible for you. Are you even allowed to suck sweets or nibble on chocolate?

You must have got on well with the other horsey women on the ward.

Oh heck! You've had a rough time. Sorry to hear about your relapse. And sorry to hear you can't eat solids, that is rubbish!!!! Poor you. Fancy there being other injured horse persons!!! Do hope you are on the mend soon - don't read any of my food threads:)

Good grief, what a rollercoaster time you've had. Glad you are finally on the mend... but NO eating for a month! Yikes....

Blimey what a rough ride, Jess did that to me, have to admit I didn't even get checked out as assumed it would just be bruising, I'll think twice next time.
I don't think I'd cope without eating proper food for a whole month, I would go stir crazy, glad you're feeling better now tho

newrider.com