I am having a bit of a problem......

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
I am having a bit of a problem with Sioned tbh.

As soon as I arrive at the field she 'starts' on Bertie and its driving me
NUTS.

She chases him away and bites him, nothing too major but it all 'kicks off' and I don't know how to deal with it quite honestly or more to the point how I
'can' deal with it.

I don't feed titbits so its not about that, although saying that, I have had
to put a sign up asking people NOT to feed them OR enter my field, as apparently I have had a 'family' going into the field to feed them:eek: I cannot believe people have the nerve to do that, they obviously know nothing about Horses, especially Youngsters, they probably don't even realise my two are young. But what a risk they are taking especially taking their
kids in:eek:

Bertie, in all honesty, isn't too phased by it all, he runs away for a while
then ups with his back legs when he has had enough, waits until she comes
over to me then slips in round the back and runs in the stable:rolleyes:

However its making me cross because he doesn't deserve it. Is it just
'horsey behaviour', within 5 - 10 minutes they are happily back in each others company, it just seems to be when I arrive.

I think there is always going to be a pecking order and they must see you as the leader of the herd to be fighting for your attention. I dont know your setup but can you maybe change what you do when you arrive, like not giving them attention until they settle down again.
I have 3 horses and Alice is leader of the pack, she is at the front all the time and will push the other 2 out of the way if they are standing by the gate, the other 2 know how far they can get before she tells them off - I think there is always a stronger horse which takes the lead. The others just have to learn their place and how to deal with it.

MY two do the same - Rascal runs like the wind at me, she acts unbothered and then changes her mind and goes for him and runs for me - he then runs under her and winds her up, she forgets it was about me and chases him and then he runs up to me first hehe.

Somedays she gets there first... Have to confess I just laugh it off, but then its fairer than your situation

Victory is the leader in my herd of 3.

He will see the other two off if I go the gate and will give them a little bite on the bum or walk backwards into them and threaten to kick, although he never does!!

He is worse of course if there is hay in the field. He will certainly make sure that all the bales are his and see the others off before settling to one bale.

I just let him get on with it and wait till he settles which doesnt take long to be honest.

I dont think there is anything you can do but just let them sort themselves out and dont enter the paddock until they are settled, which in my case case takes about 10 seconds!

The point is it's driving you nuts, possibly not him.

They will sort themselves out and if Bertie is not the herd leader and is challenging this position then he will get phases as i call them to move his feet.

Actually you are all right especially Newforest, it IS ME its driving nuts, as
I say Bertie doesn't seem to care and always gets to where he wants to
go anyway, even if it is in a somewhat roundabout way.

Within 10 minutes of me arriving its all settled down and they are usually
sharing a haynet!!

Guess I will have to leave them to it and look at the positive, whilst Sioned
is making him run he can't be stuffing his fat little face:rolleyes::)

newrider.com