I am a wereck again...loose droppings!

kat1

Jul 15, 2007
Lancashire
have poo picked the field and noticed some droppings that are alot softer than the others (I have my cob, sec A and 2 shetlands on the field) I have identified the softer droppings as coming from my cob as her tail is ever so slightly sticky. They are not cow pat like, just way softer than usual and lacking form in some parts..it is solid enough to pick up from field...it is very high in moisture.

It only sems to be cob that is affected, we have had more rain of late .. could it be grass coming through?

She was like this a few weeks ago but I put her in another field for a few days as we were going to a show and she returned to normal off the longer grass.

Our grass in my field is quite green in part but at far end is much longer more like hay .. anyone??
I am losing sleep!

I'm obsessed with looking at my ponies poo! Yes, a flush of trash could be responsible, is the poo a different colour to normal?

The thing I'm most concerned about if my 2 get wetter poo is making sure there's no slime in it, which suggested stomach infection and also making sure the pony responsible is hydrated enough if it goes on for too long. I do the skin pinch test to find out, the skin should go straight back when you let go. I also keep an eye to see if the pony is well in itself and not behaving differently. All should return to normal within a week otherwise I'll revaluate.

poo normal in colour..yeah she behaving and eating as normal.. no slime I can see...did give it a good poke, prod and sqeeze!!!!! keep tellin myself that if she lived out in a very large field in a big herd, we wouldnyt know who was pooing out what!!! :unsure:

Sounds like good grass to me. As long as it's not continuing over a prolonged period you should be okay.

Pink powder is always good for upset tummies (and you don't need to give with a feed, my tb licks it off my hand, he loves it!)

I'm having this just now - at first we thought it was the new grass as it started in spring and the other horse was experiencing the same reaction. Other horse has now settled, mine has still got cow pat like poo. Have tried charcoal to draw out any toxins at suggestion of trimmer but not worked so I'm changing feed again. Decided it coincided with change in feed originally so after all other variables considered, this is the conclusion I've drawn.

it's almost certainly due to a change in the grass. With the sudden wet weather the grass is shooting up again, plus it has a higher water content - result is splatty poos :tongue:. If it's really worrying you then get her off the grass for a few hours a day & feed some dry hay, but to be honest I'd just monitor her & not worry about it unless it gets a lot worse or you see other symptoms. On very loose, unsettled tummies I've found Protexin QuickFix to be good - Jim would have made a cow pat look firm but a few days of this soon put him right (& yes, given his history he did have the vet & this was what she recommended).

Rosie had colic surgery 9 years ago so anything freaks me...is that available without a prescription?:playfull:

The colic surgery, the freaking or the Protexin Quick Fix :giggle:?

Yes it is available without prescription, I think a syringe costs around £10 & lasts 5 days. And I know what you mean about the colic surgery, Jim had it a couple ofyears ago & the poor lad still can't do anything without me showing a quite unhealthy inerest :bounce:

newrider.com