Humans vs Horse accomodation including a Poll

human or horse accomodation... most important

• Total voters

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
If you were buying or renting a horsey property which would be most important to you..... the human living quarters... ie house or the ponies living quarters ie the paddocks and or stables ? and why:)

Just curious !!!

I have always thought I could live anywhere so long as its dry and I can make it warm.... for me my land has to be perfect for my ponies :) I don't have children at home just me and my OH so I can make a house a home over time. Not bothered about having a show home :) just comfortable.

However my OH is the complete opposite of me and the human house is more important lol he likes his creature comforts lol

Now you and your reason why

Last edited:
I voted horse as in your circumstances with no children I would actually live an any ole state if it meant I had land and stables etc, Id be quite happy in a static caravan lol ! . However in my own current circumstances I would always have to put my children first so house would be most important she is young and suspectable to chest infections.

Horse would come first given a choice. I have a picture in my mind of the perfect horsey set- up, but no idea what would be my perfect house - hence my itchy feet!
I think it's actually easier to change a house around to make it suit you, than it is to change land/stables to suit.

Lol I lived in a worse house than my mares for years and then moved into a touring caravan! Heheheee. So long as their stables were good that was okay for us! We did eventually have the house made good and then sold up and moved here. The happiest days are those when I see the girls grazing outside or hear them snuffling about at night:D
For us, a house can be made a home pretty quickly so long as it's reasonably dry and can be made warm in the winter.

i can relate completely to this!!

so last year we bought a completely beautiful house, nothing needing done, it was gorgeous. Grazing wasn’t great but we had 8 acres, an arena and picture perfect stables within a courtyard. Husband fell in love with it, I loved the house... I hated the location. I thought Id be ok with it but I really wasnt and it made me ill. We moved 12 months later. Now we are in an old, run down croft with 17 acres, tumbling down old outbuildings and barns. For the first time in my life I have more grass than I know what to do with!! We have no arena but it’s all flat and well drained plus I have 3 big competition centres with indoor schools within 15 mins to choose from. The house is livable - its warm, water tight, decent bathroom, bedrooms for us and miniCA but it really is pretty yucky ;) The location however is perfect, it’s so quiet and we have no immediate neighbours. I come home here and I breathe out a sigh of relief. We have a private track up to the house with gates over the end that are child/dog proof so MiniCA can be out his bike and has more space to play safely than most kids. We’re still only 15-20 mins to decent shops though. When we first moved in I had all these plans for the house but in reality we dont have the money just now, and now we’ve got it clean and our own things in, it doesnt matter to me anymore. We will do it eventually, but tbh Im never inside! Hubby on the otherhand!!! He loved the last place and he really moved for me; he said he was fully onboard moving here but the reality for him from going from a picture book, ‘interiors’ house to this has been very hard. He was very down for a while and we have struggled for a bit. Everything is fab now though. I hope that gives you some food for thought!

I have seen 4 places with enough land online now......One house is lovely inside but has enough land just.... and buildings but it doest show these on the photos..... my OH like this best..... the other 3 have more land but the houses aren't as nice but we would have a good nest egg left to either save or put the place into better shape... or buy more Highlands lol ;-) at some point in the future or farm animals whatever have a school put in or buy tractor etc

But my OH doesn't like these three but I would live there an be happy ..... rather have more money in the bank and do the house up slowly.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
location and space is everything i think... as long as the location is right and you have the space to expand as required those are the key things. you can’t change location but you can change how things look :)

I would not be bothered if I lived in an old shack as long as it was waterproof and had enough room to move and have a fireplace. If I ever had land it would have to be nice grass with a stable and tack room that my own horse could be safe and comfortable in and warm. after all they deserve to have the best in my opinion

Reactions: Trewsers
I think we should all also ask our non-horsey partners to answer this poll - it would be interesting to see how many of them agree with us that the horse's accommodation is more important than their own

That is gorgeous, it would be to big for me really but it is a stunning place..... if I still had our children at home I would love that place. And so much land too.... whats the downside ????

None ! its amazing here.

House for me! I have 3 kids and family all live a long way away, so having a big, comfortable family home where we can have lots of visitors and a big garden for the kids is really important to me. Once the children have left home I'll probably feel differently. At Somerford Park there are people who live onsite in caravans and have their horses on the most luxurious livery with the most amazing facilities you could imagine. I could be tempted by that!!

Reactions: Gimp
Gimp wins for the most beautiful property with the most amount of land for sure but maybe to much land for us.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45579098.html#tab=floorplan

I keep looking at this little place.... its almost on the beach and very near a loch I looked on the map.... I joined the Sanday facebook page and keep looking at the photos they post from there it look idyllic.... The one draw back from this property for us Is the amount of land its less than 5 acres :( and I would be taking 7 maybe 8 ponies with me .... keep think I wonder if we could buy or rent extra nearby.... I just think it looks cosy and not far to ride or walk the dog on the beach :D

I don't know what the downsides of living on the island are but I would love to visit :)

newrider.com