Human vitamin supplements- Do u use them 4 horses/dogs?

l7oopys

Whoooo Pat!
Jun 16, 2006
Oswestry, Shropshire
Hi All

My dog is rather ederly and gets stiff so i have been looking at Joint supplements for her.

I have been told that i can give her glucosamine & chondriotin supplement 4 humans as its basically the same as the expensive dog ones.

Does anyone know if this would be ok?

Does anyone give their animals vitamins/supplements meant for humans??

Google vetvits-glucosamine-we use them for our dogs-one had 2 snapped cruciates within 18 months. The pedigree joint sticks are very expensive by comparison and we give them codliver oil (human) pills-they love them and their coats are very shiny!

Hi,
You can give dogs Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Also New Zealand Green Lipped Muscle is very good, and cod liver oil too:). I buy the very expensive "Mobility Support" from the vets for my dog, but I'm lucky because I work for them, so I only pay a fraction of the cost. I was told by a vet nurse that the stuff you get from health food shops is just as good though, and a lot cheaper;)

Yes I gave Ronnie glucosamine sulphate for a few months when I first had her as she was a bit stiff.

I used to give my dog human glucosamine because he's getting a bit old & creaky, it didn't seem to do a lot but now he's on the Vet Vits proper doggy glucosamine stuff & he's tons better :)

I give Mrs P (hoss) a human zinc supplement every day & she seems great on it ;)

Yes, I give my horse a blood, liver, kidney and spleen cleanser and a parasite, yeast and fungal herbal supplements, used for us peeps primarily. These were 2 seperate herbal supplements available in capsules, not cost effective in that form for giving to horses.
I spoke with the owners of the company who make them and they came up with the idea to take out the herbs that deal with digestion (in peeps), as horses don't need this, and just use the herbs that deal directly with the issues. They then sent me the 2 in powder form for me to use as appropiate.
My horse had anemia, and a high liver enzyeme count. His body became very toxic from repeated medications like anti-biotics, pain killers, sedataives, vaccines and worming paste.

I noticed that all the medication he was prescribed had a warning on the box
"Do not administer to animals destined for human consumtion" Meaning the toxins don't just accumulate and remain in the main cleaning organs of the body but also in the muscles, (the meat).

These 2 products are extremely effective and gentle on the human body, and having used these myself, felt he could benefit from them too, if they were adapted to suit.
I now mix these 2 herbal supplements together to give and effective cleanse and detox, as well as staying on top of worms. He has 7.5mg a day in a small feed and in a months time we will do further blood tests to see what difference there is. Once his system is clean he will go onto a daily maintence dose of about 3.5 mg. The dosage is worked out on weight which approx 5 times that of a human.

Last edited:
Hi, yes we give our dogs human evening primrose oil and have done for years - its great for dry skin in dogs. I haven't given our neds anything meant for humans though.

I was advised this year to start my dog on glucosamine and asked about using human ones as they are pretty cheap. The vet told me that dogs digest and metabolise them differently to us so he would not get as much benefit from the human ones as he would from special doggie ones as they have a different formula/coating.
Human ones are better than nothing though I guess:rolleyes:. I would also suggest going on line to look at the dosage etc recommended for dogs etc to make sure you dont over/under dose them :)

newrider.com