Human shampoo for horses

S

sala

Hiya i've got a show tomorrow and just wondering can you use human shampoo on horses manes and tails.:)

Not sure. It seems that a lot of horse shampoos can be used on humans, so I don't know why it wouldn't go the other way round.

I use the human shampoo for platinum blondes on my Haflingers, they look great. There's also an after shampoo hair treatment in the same line, like a styling cream, that's designed to be left in the hair, and it makes their manes really shiny. I wish I could remember the name of the brand, it's (of course) out in the barn!

Have used timotei for blondes on Storms tail and it seems ok, its very mild. Have also used Johnsons baby shampoo on her. I have the Gallop stuff but it smells rather like aniseed and I'm not keen. Plus its quite expensive. But I'll probably get shouted at for not buying proper horsey stuff!!! I don't think you're really meant to use human stuff, but if its mild I don't see a problem, plus if you're careful about it around their eyes I don't see a prob. Depends on if your horse has a sensitive skin I guess - bit like humans ! (my OH has to be careful what he uses but I can use any old rubbish!!!)

Course you can, if its tested for use on human skin, it will have been rigorously tested (lets not think about how :( ) and screened for irritants.

I have used Pantene shampoo and conditioner on my mares and its done a fine job. However, my favourite is the liquorice hair wash and conditioner bar from the posh bath bomb, smellies shop - Grrr .. can't remember the name!

Stella2 said:
Course you can, if its tested for use on human skin, it will have been rigorously tested (lets not think about how :( ) and screened for irritants.

I have used Pantene shampoo and conditioner on my mares and its done a fine job. However, my favourite is the liquorice hair wash and conditioner bar from the posh bath bomb, smellies shop - Grrr .. can't remember the name!

Lush????

Ooooh who would have thought of using Lush stuff on horses! I can see spending opportunities galore here as I combine 2 of my weaknesses -- horsey shopping and bath-stuff shopping :D :D :D

Hope Fluke's ready for this!

newrider.com