human conformation

jumpinjellybean

Feb 27, 2005
what is the ideal riding conformation in a human?

Ive been reading a lot of books and for some of them (with pictures) they say that the person has good or excellent conformation, and yet i have never been able to find anything about how they judge that??

please let me know as im sick of studying these pictures for similarities lol. :D

Hmm. Interesting topic.

On Saturday, my instructor was discussing with another rider why that other rider tends to fall off alot. Her 'top heavy' conformation and short legs is one of two reasons. (The other was rider error/fault). This changes her center of gravity and when the horse makes a move she isnt anticipating, her legs aren't wrapped around the barrel the same way a person with average legs do -so she's at a disadvantage.

My own conformation shows in riding faults as well. I have scoliosis (curvature of the spine), and although its mild, it still makes keeping my seat underneath me hard to do. I naturally stand with my bum poked out a tiny bit and it also shows in the saddle.

So yeah, I'd say human conformation plays a big role in your ability to ride.

this is one of those totally anecdotal things (because there are many many wonderful riders of all different shapes) but yes, there is an "ideal" rider's body. generally it's that person that we hate anyhow (i know, it's not fair! :mad: ) long legs (to take up a lot of horse), slender and fit (easier to keep balanced), short torso (it's much easier to keep your back straight and avoid hunching or crumpling when you jump) and being tall doesn't hurt either.
whatever. i'm going to ignore what i just wrote and say that the most important part of a rider's anatomy is heart. :) (i know, i'm such a geek) :D

this is a very interesting thread... what maren said makes sence and would explain some of the reason why the models never seem to have trouble riding :p (malin and jodie kidd for starters.)

i always thought it was an advantage to be bowlegged like a boy... but i have no basis for this.. i just notice that guys seem to ride better :p

Well I certainly find problems riding bigger horses with my short legs - I can't give proper aids as they are only just below the saddle flap :eek: and find it more difficult to wrap my leg around as my feet are so high up the horse's belly....So Rupert and I are a perfect fit at 13.1hh and just under 5ft :D

Tall only helps if you ride big horses ;) :p

Being male is an advantage - not because of the bandy legs but because of the shape and tilit of the pelvis. It naturally puts them into a better seated position for riding.

On a female front (no pun intended), I'd say being small chested helps - no need for support bra's and no danger of knocking yourself out when doing sitting trot!

anuvb said:
Being male is an advantage - not because of the bandy legs but because of the shape and tilit of the pelvis. It naturally puts them into a better seated position for riding.
I think there are a 'couple' of small things that aren't an advantage to guys - especially if they haven't learnt the posting trot ;) :D

On a female front (no pun intended), I'd say being small chested helps - no need for support bra's and no danger of knocking yourself out when doing sitting trot!

now i KNEW there was an advantage, know i know what it is! i guess i should stop complaining, im a better rider because of being small chested :D

newrider.com