Hugs and good vibes needed

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
So! As someone of you may know sox had a corn in his foot about 2 weeks ago. The vet came out I did what he told me to do and soxs shoe went back on him last friday. I thought we were getting somewere and sox just needed time to come sound however I trotted him up tonight a few times first the girl said he was only slightly lame. I wanted another livery to see as she has been the main one watching him trot up . So she did, sox wasn't the best and another livery who competed at badminton joined in , felt his feet and did flexion tests on him and he was worse the more I trotted him up and down. After a while put him back in his box and went to sit down one of the other girls saw him trot up while she was sitting there and at the time said that was the best she had seen him ( she saw him the first time I trotted him) though when I sat down. I asked him how he looked again and as she got up she repeated it and said ' but I don't think he will ever be 100% sound lauren' now that did hurt a little. My farrier is down tomorrow. Am going to get him to have a look at his feet again . Sox will have been lame for 3 weeks as of tomorrow . I aren't sure whether to get the vet back down or the physio or just leave it a little longer and don't work him? Hugs/ good vibes needed.

Is the person who made the comment " but I don't think he will ever be 100% sound lauren" someone who's opinion you respect? Are they someone who has known Sox from the first day you had him? As for the one who competed at Badminton, I wouldn't let anyone other than an extremely experienced horse vet do flexion tests on any horse of mine. Incorrectly carried out, by someone who is playing vets and enjoying their own ego trip, they can actually lame a horse that was sound initially, or make a slightly unsound horse very seriously unsound!

It is possible that Sox has some underlying issue that due to your inexperience (I am sorry I don't mean that rudely, just part of the overall picture) you haven't picked up that he is very slightly lame at all times, and you are only aware of it when the issue manifests itself in a more definite way from time to time?

TBH if he has been lame for 3 weeks now and whatever your vet said or recommended treatment wise initially (I assume he has seen him since this latest bout of lameness?)isn't making any improvements then you either get this vet back out and insist on a full lameness work up to get some answers, or find another equine vet.

Please don't let amateurs mess around with him, at the least it won't help and the worst they could make the situation a whole lot worse. I do know how much you worry about Sox and you are obviously doing your very best for him, but it sounds to me like you really need to be looking to professionals to help you, not fellow liveries - or people on an internet forum - much as it is helpful to ask for peoples opinions and ideas, at the end of the day this sort of issue really needs a vet. Lots of hugs and healing vibes, please don't take my words as unkindly, I promise I am saying them with both you and Sox's best interests at heart.;)

It is always very difficult to decide what to do for the best, especially when you don't know what is going on. I am the kind of person who needs to know exactly what is happening and why so I personally would get the vet out and be asking for them to investigate further but that is just me.

I can't remember, does he have a history of lameness? Why did this person think he'll never be sound?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's nothing serious and he comes right soon!

Reactions: Trewsers
The one who made the comment has known sox since I have had him. I don't think he has been lame all the time. People would have told me. Our yard is huge and people like to voice there opinions whether there welcomed or not! I will get the vet down either tomorrow or monday.

When horses are lame and you can see know reason the only people I would take advice from are the farrier or vet. 3 weeks is not that long but it does sound like he has an underlying issue that needs to be addressed. Hugs to you

Reactions: Trewsers
Hey thanks everyone ! The vet is coming on tuesday so I am going to get the vet to have a look at him and suggest the underlying issue with him . He has a history of lameness , last time was when we both had our accident last year. Sox had nerve blocks down and nothing showed up and he came sound after about 6 weeks. This time he orginally had a corn in his foot that went in a week but he also has thrush and has had it for sometime. Sox is incrediable sensetive with all aspects. Whether its sunburn or mudfever . Sox has always had very poor feet and in the summer there worse so that can't have helped matters. Will let you all know xx

I agree with Cortrasna about your yard "experts". Flexion tests aren't something that should be taken lightly, even flexion tests carried out by a qualified vet can lame a horse so there is no way on earth I would be letting some random try it! Competing at Badminton means she can ride well and has/had a good horse, it does not make her an expert. If you are worried about your horse's soundness get a vet out.

Thanks everyone my vets coming tuesday. Also just spoken to one of the vets he suggested doing x-rays and nerve blocks etc. Either at our yard or the hospital.

Last edited:
newrider.com