HRT, does anyone have any views?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I raise this cautiously on a horse forum, but so many of us are female I thought I might get some opinions expressed.

I'm 54 and have never thought of anything like HRT but I am suffering with the menopause - hot flushes and night sweats, which are a nuisance, but also and much more difficult, emotional highs and lows, particularly anger. I heard an article on Woman's Hour the other day about bio identical HRT and it sounded like a very good option.

I'e booked an appointment with my GP to discuss it, but I just wondered if anyone had any views, opinions or experiences (your own or those of others you know) which you'd like to share with me. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not respond in public! And if this is an inappropriate post, tell me and I'll remove it :oops:

Well, my opinion is that I'd take the HRT, of any kind, if only they'd offer it to me! Our GP practice doesn't like using it any more, when I went my GP just printed a load of stuff off the Internet about Evening Primrose Oil and other alternative remedies. I'm thinking about going back and begging for it because my nights are so disturbed with the hot flushes I'm having difficulty staying awake driving to and from work.

I haven't heard of bio identical HRT. What is it? I'll be interested to hear what your GP says.

Bio identical HRT is exactly that - hormones which are identical to the ones your body produces. They are made from plants, especially soya. Some researchers think that women in China/Japan suffer less from flushes and sweats than Western women because they consume so much soya.

The original HRT, which I would actually feel a bit uncomfortable about taking, is similar but not identical to your body's hormones. There are several health disbenefits associated with it. I would also refuse to take Promarin or any other HRT made from the urine of pregnant mares because the conditions in which the mares are kept are vile.

Reactions: Ruskii
I am afraid I am so thick skinned the Menopause is just something that happened to other people. I think it's passed me by and I never noticed.

Reactions: glenrox
So far I've not really had any major issues with the menopause, I do get the hot flushes and my god they feel horrible but I've kind of got used to those now, as for the mood swings I can't say that I have noticed that much - although I when I'm up I'm way up and when I'm down i'm in the pits but I've always been a moody madam. I am lucky and I know I am in the minority who 'sail through it' as it were, my Mum did too, however if I was having lots of bad mood swings and felt that it was affecting my life then I'd be straight down to the GP for some medication. The Bio stuff sounds much better than the old stuff too but sorry I've no experience of it.

I was lucky. I did not have major issues that I noticed. (no one ever said I was xtra "bitchy") I started a little early- but have no idea
if that makes any difference.
I probably would not have taken any HRT anyway.
If its affecting your life then I don't see a problem with talking to your doctor.
The new stuff does sound better.

All I would say is everyone has vastly different experiences and reactions to drugs and stuff. What siuts one won;t suit another, you can always give it a go and take it from there. If I was finding things problematic I'd certainly try something.

The menopause did have symptoms for me, but I had such a dreadful time and cancers scares previously that I just lived through it and counted it a blessing. I have been 100% better in health and feel so much younger since passing the meno pause and the hormonal problems I had before it, ruled out HRT. I've had breast ops too and a history of breast cancer in the family which again rules it out.

You may like to look at this http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/cancer-questions/hrt-and-cancer-risk

Of course I cant comment on your particular medical situation, either long term or short term, Jane but HRT and the contraceptive pill were things my generation of women rushed into without anyone knowing much about the long term implications of disrupting the natural biological processes. I tend to be a low medication, low interference patient myself and my doctor daughter is the same. But equally some medics like to find a cure for everything and to meet the expectations of patients who come to them for help. If I had asked for HRT, I would probably have been given it.
I know nothing about modern versions - But after one hospital stay I was told I am allergic to soya - True that soya is hormone related. But it isnt a cure all for everyone.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
I was one of the lucky ones, so I never bothered. It would certainly be worth considering if you're having problems, but I think it would be a good idea to read up about possible side-effects first - I'm not up to date with recent developments but I have an idea these things are all safer than they used to be.

Reactions: Lemme
Not got to this yet. But I do believe in natural alongside conventional.
So would reach for various alternatives before the gp option, or to compliment.
Though I am on long term meds so its not a case of that'll be fine. It has to be able to be used in conjunction with.

My mum had a really hard time of it, she went on HRT for quite a while and it made a huge difference. But she finally realised although it helped she was just 'delaying the inevitable'.

She came off it and is still having a pretty tough time of it, flushes, moodswings, sleepless nights. The lot.

newrider.com