How Would You Describe the Cob Breed?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Following on from a post i read about Cleveland bays being a little opinionated. Sometimes a one person horse, but once you have them onside your ok.

I wondered what the cob type came with. My instructor has already described my cob as a challenge, bolshie, opinionated and thank god she's not bigger. (She will grow though!) I need to get her to stop seeing me as a toy.:wub:

I think they're really hard to give traits to as they're a type rather than a breed & so could have almost anything in their breeding. Most people can come up with major exceptions to breed characters, with a type I'd say it's nigh on impossible to give generalisations!

I think its like any breed people make horses.

my cob was rude as hell when I first got him, now he stands when he is told to, stays put if i take a few steps away, loads etc.

he also chooses to spend his time with me in the field weather its laying down or me running about playing.

what I bought how ever was a rude pig ignorant git that actully had a very big nervy side to him. His previous owner had been a teenager girl, who basically had let him walk all over her and didnt have a clue!

My big lad can be just that.. bolshy, but with anyone but me.. he's known to take a fair few people for a 'walk', but knowing how to stop it from even starting is the key:wink:

I was told she'd been a bit spoilt, had habit of leaving and suceeding and had only ever lived with mum.
So any youngster in this position will probably tell you that the word is.....off!

I'll do anything you ask if i agree, now she's starting to not agree. What i viewed has finally come to the surface again.

I have no great experience really of Cobs, but when I was coming back into Horses wanting something safe and sound, thought 'oh go for a COB'. Bought my first one thinking 'where is there a problem, its ''just a cob''' :bounce:

I had in fact bought the 'bolshyist, in your face' Welshie D Cob I have ever
met:wink:

He was HARD WORK, without a doubt, totally in your face and opinionated,
no real malice I have to say, but 'wearing'.

With my neck injury (no fault of his I hasten to add) I decided that he was
just 'too much of a risk' and sold him on............He turned out to be excellent under
saddle, a doddle to break, but is still 'bolsy' and 'opinionated' on the ground.

I then, once on the way to recovery, bought Sioned, she is Welshie X Traditional, has no hesitation to let you know if something isn't right, or
you are not getting something 'right', but on the whole is very laid back,
loving and ''easy''. I am not 'counting my chickens' just yet as we have
a long way to go still:wink:

What am I getting at..........You can't judge a Horse on the breed alone, you
have to judge the actual Horse, whatever the breed.

I love the cob type, I think the main thing they suffer from is their nature - as they are so well known for being kind and forgiving, people are less likely to handle them with the required discpline as they are "just a cob" and hence they end up being bolshy and opionionated. Any that are well handled and have good manners will be some of the best horses you can find :)

If you let them they will walk all over you, if you train them with appropriate amounts of discipline, reward and affection they will be loyal friends......but that's the same within any breed or type.

My experience of cobs is only from riding schools. The three that I have ridden have been exceptionally un-flappable both hacking and in the school. They put up with a lot from a rubbish rider! But, they do have their own opinions on certain things - they can be a bit bargy and not at all affectionate (but that may be because they weren't used to having a one to one relationship with anybody inparticular). Oh and they like eating flowers......lol...........

newrider.com