How would YOU deal wih this?

KJW

Jan 21, 2009
Somewhere too rainy
My new horse is a habitual "nipper." He doesn't full on bite, but he does try to pinch very quickly with his front teeth, as if he's been used to getting treats in the past. It's not because he's new (he used to do it to his previous owner too, and they'd had him over 5 years) and I think we can rule out pain (he's had a 5 stage vetting, previous owner admits its an old habit and its not linked to a specific activity e.g. doing up his girth). I firmly believe it is his way of seeking attention/treats.

So, just wondering how you would deal with this. People on here often have very different views about such behavioural matters and I'm keen to try various things till I find the answer. I have ruled out having his teeth removed. :p

I would nip his top lip every time he does it, give it a good squeeze between your fingers, if he had done this to his mother when he was young she would have nipped him back!
Also dont give him tip bits, everything should be put in a feed bucket.

Ignore it. I have an attention-seeking biter and the second that you react, whether to tap him on the nose, back him up NH-style, yell at him or jump back saying 'ow', it gets 100x worse.

I try to ignore it too. Whenever I'm with a nipper I wrap a rope around his muzzle. It lets ME relax: whenever I'm expecting something, it usually happens.

i bop it on the nose if anything tries to nip me. it is plain rude and i dont tolerate it and my YM at work would murder me if i let any of our foals, yearlings or even broodmares for that matter nip.

Thanks guys, I'll give the lip nipping a go! I'm reluctant to just ignore him, because then he just increases the frequency and it makes me feel I'm accepting his behaviour.

Failing that, a sharp whack over the head with a cricket bat should solve it :p

For nibbling, pinching the upper lip works quite well, especially with foals. It should be perceived as a direct result of lips/teeth contact with skin, so it is best to do it instantly, silently and without fuss. Maintaining the pinch for a second or two while the foal recoils seems to work better than letting go straight away.

However, the technique I have found most effective, especially with older horses, is to offer a hand to nibble on, let him start to take my hand into his mouth, then promptly stick a knuckle or (with palm turned upward) a fingertip firmly into his soft palate causing him to try and spit my hand out. (I say "him" because this behaviour is more common in males, but you could apply this equally well to a filly.) One has to be prepared for the few horses that raise their heads up beyond arm's reach. It always helps to keep everything calm and matter-of-fact, to avoid startling the horse.

Obviously you should always have a quick escape route for your fingers - usually the gap behind the incisors. You need to be more cautious with very small pony mouths or horses with tushes. I try to keep the finger contact going for a couple of seconds while he tries to spit it out/get rid of it with his tongue. You don't want to hurt or injure; you just want to create a uncomfortable sensation - something the horse dislikes.

With a little deftness you can intercept nibbles and attempted nips elsewhere (e.g. on your clothing) in such a way that the horse comes to realize that it is unpleasant and not worth nibbling anywhere on your person.

I do think it helps if your response to nibbling is perceived as a consequence of the horse's own action and not as a reprimand. At least, that way you avoid it being seen as an act of aggression which might then escalate to power/dominance "games". I really try to avoid those. I also don't like hitting the horse on the nose. It may seem a justified response to what is undoubtedly an annoying and potentially dangerous behaviour, but it can have unwanted consequences - it can make some horses headshy, and with others (colts especially) it can turn it into an escalating battle of wits. Many times I've seen both of those happen.

Two or three repeats of "finger in palate" over a couple of sessions is usually all it takes to stop the behaviour completely. That's right - you may only need to do it six times in total. After that, if you offer your hand up to her mouth, you will see her thinking about taking it, as she might have done before, and then deciding to keep her mouth firmly shut!

With this method I have taught many foals and young colts not to nip. I've also used it successfully with a few problem stallions who had their mouthiness turned into more serious nipping by badly administered punishment (which turned it into a pernicious "game"). I haven't yet come across a horse for whom this hasn't worked. The important thing is to stop the nipping while it is still "good natured" and before it becomes aggressive and nasty.

If you are thinking this is not a safe technique to do yourself, that's fair enough. I am very safety conscious and I have never been even slightly hurt doing it. Actually, going into a horse's mouth isn't such a big deal - you may do it from time to time already, when you give wormer. And it's not like you have to do this very often - maybe half a dozen times in total, as I said - most horses learn this lesson very qucikly! However, if you are at all worried about doing it (maybe your horse isn't just nibbling but snapping aggressively) then DON'T DO IT! All I will say is it works extremely well for me.

I generally go for the 'OH MY GOD YOU BIT OFF MY ARM' growling, waving, flapping approach. It's not the most glamourous of options but it does work!

I know people who have attached a dog grooming mit onto their arm......if the horse goes to bite, their arm blocks it. Requires fast reflexes. I've never heard of it causing headshyness like lip nipping may (I imagine, never seen it used) seeing as you're not actually hitting the horse, it only gets a shock if they move into YOUR space.

Essentially though, I think general groundwork and gaining respect techniques are the key.

Daisy nipped me once and I slapped her really hard on her neck. She never did it again.

Another pony I work with nips for treats. Quickest way to get him off you is to pinch the skin under his neck. he backs up straight away.

I know people who have attached a dog grooming mit onto their arm......if the horse goes to bite, their arm blocks it. Requires fast reflexes. I've never heard of it causing headshyness like lip nipping may (I imagine, never seen it used) seeing as you're not actually hitting the horse, it only gets a shock if they move into YOUR space.
I think lip-nipping could cause headshyness if the horse sees it coming. Usually your hand can quickly go to where the biting is about to take place (assuming it's the nippy/nibbly sort and not aggressive lungeing from a distance) and deliver the nip at the right time. But if a horse sees a hand going for its head, to pinch, slap or punch, it will try to avoid it. If it is repeated often enough the horse may learn that "hand coming towards head" means something nasty is going to happen. Then it doesn't matter if the "hand coming towards head" is really harmless - the horse ain't going to see it that way.

I agree about blocking. There the horse is effectively punishing itself for its actions and doesn't usually see you as the aggressor.

Essentially though, I think general groundwork and gaining respect techniques are the key.
You might like to read what I wrote about this in the thread "Why Are Riders So Wary of 'Dominant' Behaviour?". :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Francis Burton, I'm not sure I have the balls to try your method. It does sound very effective and you've obviously had some wonderful results, but I can see me getting in a tangle with that :eek:.

I am, however, getting pretty deft with the lip nipping thing. Basically he tends to nibble when my hand is near "the danger end" e.g when I'm attaching a leadrope to his headcollar or doing up his noseband. So it means I'm well positioned for the lip grab almost at the same moment, whilst my other hand carries on with whatever it was I was doing. In this way, I don't make a big deal of it, the whole episode is all over within 5 seconds and there is no real let up in what I was already doing. I find this much less "disruptive" than a whack to the shoulder or neck, which usually results in him throwing his head in the air, bashing his nose off the stable overhang and reversing at speed for a few steps. :rolleyes:

Whilst I am probably being optimistic, I feel sure he was a bit less nibbly tonight. In fact we had quite a nice moment when he rested his muzzle against me and I could tell he wasn't going to nibble, we just had a bit of a hug. I am ever hopeful that this is my first bit of light at the end of a tooth filled tunnel!

OK, I'm not actually suggesting you do this, but it did work for our mare.

She always nipped when we were doing rugs or sometimes I would just hear her teeth snapping behind me.

I didn't really want to hit her, so I grabbed her top lip, lifted it and tapped her teeth. As I always talk rubbish to our horses I used to say something like "what are those teeth doing" :D:D. Yes I know I'm barmy.

However now if she shows the slightest sign of doing it all I have to do is say "teeth" and she looks away ashamed. :D:D

I don't know if this would work for you because by the sounds of it his nipping has been a habit formed by asking for treats but this works great for the babies when the go through the nipping stage. When your horse goes to nip you simply make a fist and push it gently into the side of his muzzle with enough strength to simply turn his head away from you, after a few seconds invite him back.. if he tries to nip again just repeat until hes back with you and not nipping. It's a simple message for them to understand and most pick it up very fast, it's a sortof firm but fair 'No, I am in control and that is not allowed' it is from herd behaviour when the nippy babies are pushing it but obviously instead of a fist it would be a mares muzzle to push them away.

I'm a whiskers person or a poke in the nose with one finger while carrying on doing whatever with my other hand.

We are having fun with the babies at the minute, we are introducing them to grooming and bless all they want to do is groom us back but then teeth get involved. We are using finger poke and whisker pulling to let them know that teeth aren't meant to be used on humans.

my old TB used to do it all the time, even brushing her she would do it.
what i used to do was (brushing her left side) brush with right hand and then keep my left hand up by her neck whenever she went to turn round to nip i'd push her head away while still brushing, if she did it when i was stroking her then i'd poke her as she did it.
she soon got the idea that i wasn't bothered but something happened everytime she did it and after a while she stopped doing it to me. i tried to teach others to handle her in the same way but they thought they knew better and ended up making her worse towards them.

the only time i did smack her was when she went to bite me and managed to grab my cap off my head, she had reached the end of the rope and that's all she managed but i knew if she was tied looser then she would have bitten my head full on. BUT when i smacked her (on her shoulder) she turned to kick me and that's when i realised it wouldn't do me any good to hit her.

I generally go for the 'OH MY GOD YOU BIT OFF MY ARM' growling, waving, flapping approach. It's not the most glamourous of options but it does work!

Ditto this, it never fails!

x

Yeah a couple of horses I know who do that would kick you if you tried pinching them/slapping their neck!! I think the most effective approach sounds like pushing the horses head away while keeping doing what you're doing!

Depends on the horse really though - I guess all you can do is try the various approaches and see what works best:D Good luck :D:D

newrider.com