How to train mane to lay on correct side.

plait it on the correct side, wet it to begin with it makes it hang better, then plait it and keep it in all the time, redo when it needs doing. until it is trained over, it is pain staking but it works.

Ditto to Jenny 2502 - plait, plait and plait!

It might be worth investing in a lycra hood too, which will keep extra wispy bits down firmly on the 'correct' side.

That's what I did for my mare (as well as plaiting) and it did the trick! :D

I've never had great success in training really wild thick manes to lie on the right side permanently despite trying virtually everything! What I do with my highland is put a lycra hood on him for as long as possible (overnight ideally) before a show, it works really well and his mane stays tidy for the whole show. Once he's back in the field and has a roll it's back to square one though!

Not sounding stupid, but which side should it lay? My cob is hogged see so I dont have that trouble, but my new fillys mane goes both sides at the mo and i need to sort it out!

ahh right ok, hers is mainly the other side i think but I'll change that with your tips! thank you

My girl's main used to lie on both sides (and it still does atm because i forgot to keep plaiting it :eek: ) but i wet it and left plaits in for a few weeks and it got it over to the right side

:)

hope this helps!

doh i forgot about the hood, i used one too, and still do before shows! :D
yep manes should lay to the right. although when your jumping like i do, it kinda goes everywhere.
uncopyrytedjump.jpg

Last edited:
Plait, plait plait!!!

Hoods work well too, my little pony (who is nwo out on loan) used to be parted right down the middle :) plaiting and regular grooming did hers, although she was a welsh A so has a nice long mane!!

Just plaited my new little girl up this morning for the same reason.....I am not however, very good at it, by the time I did the last one the top ones were falling out:D Agh well, have to keep practising.

is it best to plait like a arab plait or single plaits just not rolled up?

Lacey is another who needs hers to lay on the right before her show in a few weeks

i tried for years for echo's to go on right side, tried plaits and hoods notthing worked. i feel like it don't really matter casue if go to a show i just plait on the right side :D

we had a D stallion (bought as a wildy 12 year old after been with the girlies all his life) and he had a split mane, we considered hogging it because you couldnt get a brush through it!
we tried plaiting but they wouldnt go over so we trimmed under the hairline on the side it should go so it wasnt pushed back up when it went to the right side. repeated plaiting and wet brushing trained it after a few months and you couldnt tell it had been trimmed it was that thick (imagine hogged trimmed, not just hacked with scissors)

his hair was very thick and coarse and we trained that so anybody can!

newrider.com