How to tell the difference between male and female kittens

Jackblack

Sep 4, 2008
How on earth am i supposed to tell the difference between male and female kittens 2 weeks old???? the little things are getting annoyed at their bums being looked at all the time with a laptop beside them with pictures.

please dont mention any semi colons or anything like that i just dont see it :)

you might be able to see nobbles, we could with our boys from an early age. They weren't too pronounced but you could definately see them!

Otherwise...

Boys have a poo hole and then a longer distance down to a dot of a wee hole, than a girl which has a poo hole and a shorter distance to a wee slit, rather than a hole. :eek: :D

you might be able to see nobbles, we could with our boys from an early age. They weren't too pronounced but you could definately see them!

Otherwise...

Boys have a poo hole and then a longer distance down to a dot of a wee hole, than a girl which has a poo hole and a shorter distance to a wee slit, rather than a hole. :eek: :D

love how you describe this, they are hairy little blighters and when they were born they all looked male now i think there is one female but not sure and people want the girl, poor boys dont get a look in at all

lol, I tried to say it all sensibly but it just got me all confused! :D

you might be able to feel the nobbles too?!?!

Poor boys! I have one of each but had two littermate boys to start with (Yoda got run over at 18 months old :( and Oscar was all lonely. Just before Christmas I went window shopping to the local saddlery and came home with Charley kitten!). I can honestly say that they all climbed the curtains, shredded the carpet at the bottom of the stairs doing handbrake turns chasing each other, and on occasions miss the litter tray! Boy or girl, makes no difference, they all get hormonal if you don't neuter them in time and go from being delightful fluffballs to little horrors to duvet dwellers! :D

And No!, there is no room at the inn!!! ;)

i would keep them all, their mum is one of the best cats ive ever had, will get her done but she is a duvet dweller, chicken radar and ninja.

i hope i get homes for them all though otherwise my oh will have some more pets to deal with :)

stormy's mum, never had a tom cat so not quite sure what a cat penis is supposed to look like, ill ship you over the kittens and you can check :)

It's very hard to tell when their very young, but like someone elss has said,the boys have little nodgules. They are hard to feal though as their so small and hairy! The testies don't start to drop untill their around 3 months

should be near lower abdomen and will be in a sheath sort of google it would be more specific and neutered males have one too

Post pics? I've never had much trouble sexing animals. Girls kitten's vaginas are very close to the anus, almost no gap. Boys have a noticable gap to make room for the testicles. The boy's penis is pretty well hidden I've never fished around for it! Its easier to tell if you have mixed sexes and can compare. If they are all the same sex it can be harder to decide what they are. What are the colours? Tortoiseshell are usually female and ginger from a tortie female and non ginger male will be male (ginger can be female if the dad is ginger and mum is ginger or tortie).
ETA the penis in a kitten might be sealed so trying to evert it might injure the kitten, I know puppies have sealed penises.

Last edited:
i will try and post pics later on, i have three that are black with a white moustache and two black and white, mom and dad are nearly identicle,

newrider.com