how to stop rug rubbing ?

WeeBarraxO

May 20, 2008
Glasgow
Pony pants rug has been rubbing her .. you can see here (its the same on both sides
_MG_3719.jpg

and she gets a line round her shoulders/neck where the rug ends .. can sort of see it in this photo near the top ..

how can I stop it .. I was thinking a bib thing ? but not sure if that will make her to warm ?

I shouldn't think one of the bib things would make her hot tbh, especially since she is already partly clipped at the front. I've never encountered that problem with them.

Definitely get something sorted though ASAP. I have seen marks like that rubbed raw & bleeding within days, as soon as it rubs the last of the hair off it will start to break the skin and those wounds can take weeks to heal. Looks like the rug has also been rubbing her shoulder.

I shouldn't think one of the bib things would make her hot tbh, especially since she is already partly clipped at the front. I've never encountered that problem with them.

Definitely get something sorted though ASAP. I have seen marks like that rubbed raw & bleeding within days, as soon as it rubs the last of the hair off it will start to break the skin and those wounds can take weeks to heal. Looks like the rug has also been rubbing her shoulder.

ohh ok :D, thanks :), my mum is going to pick one up at me when she is up near the horsey shop :cloud9:

Its so annoying when you are attempting to take the best care of your Horse and this happens, I had the same with Sioned a few years ago and am having the same problem with Heathcliffe, its so difficult to get a rug to fit round the neck and shoulders. I find the rugs cut higher at the neck fit Sioned better.

You may find a different make of Rug will fit better and not cause this MM, thats what I did with Heathcliffe, tried a couple to see what was the best fit and then went with the best fitting one, you probably wouldn't need a bib then. I got over the problem with Sioned who was in a lightweight by putting a different 'shaped' thin fleece underneath at the time and that worked a treat. Thankfully Heathcliffes rug fits brilliantly thro' trial and error and it hasn't rubbed him at all but again its cut slightly higher than a lot of rugs. On your signature you can see that the purple rug is not a very good fit round the shoulders.

Last edited:
Caymen's rug rubs at the same bit on the shoulder. I have just bought him a shoulder guard to stop it getting any worse. I bought one of the wee thin satin ones so he would not get too hot, they had padded ones but thought he would get too hot. You have just reminded me to leave it at the door so I remember to take it to the yard. Thanks!!

My boy Murf always gets them, and bibs don't seem to work :frown:

It's got a lot better since I changed to half neck rugs as they sit higher up his neck. He's gone from a Taka half neck to Orican this year (Ambers old rug - both weatherbeetas) and he has only a very small faint rub on his shoulders :dance:

newrider.com