how to stop it getting worse.

tillsmum

Saski and Blaze
Jul 10, 2006
Broad Haven, Pembrokeshire
Hi
I have just had a new horse and she needs lots of work to et her fit.
Last wek wasn't much of a problem as my other pony was down the road at a friends so I could get to know Blaze and she could settle in. We did have slight problems with unwillingness to go forward but putting my leg on and letting her know she wasn't going to get away with it worked. She can do mini rears when asked to stand but we have been doing lots of standing and then riding on to stop this and it is improving. However my pony came back on Saturday. We went for a ride on Monday with both Blaze and Saski and they were fine. Blaze did have a thing about a shadow but she has only been that way once before so not to much of an issue. Yesterday I took fo a hack on her own round the fields and apart from Saski rearing she wasn't to bad until I asked her to walk around a field. She had got it in her head we were gong home and so she was a nightmare to get to keep going. Then she spotted a gate in the bottom corner which was shut i have to say. and napped like hell to the extent the saddle slipped during the struggle and I fell off. (very bruised bottom today)
Falling off wasn't a problem we all do it but am now wondering weather this napping is going to get worse as she and Saski have obviously bonded strongly.

Sorry for the long post but any advice would be gratefully recieved before I get on again today.

Not sure it's much help but I suspect that time and persistence are the keys. Stay calm and maybe initially not go too far or for too long and just build it up slowly. Have you had back etc checked just to be sure? Keep talking to her too to reassure and if you can lots of schooling to get her learning to listen to you. Hope it goes ok today.

newrider.com