How to sit at a cannter????

iluvhorses28

Jul 29, 2005
California
my instructor always tells me to sit went i'm cantering,but I can't seem to sit. :(
I sometimes feel I'm boucing on the saddle. has anyone felt like that? Any advice?

Talk with your instructor and maybe show her this post. Ask if you can have a lunge lesson.

Warm up in your lesson with various lunge exercises. Do some work in trot without your stirrups. To help you put two fingers of the outside hand under the pommel of the saddle. Make sure you maintain the correct upper body position - that is shoulders down, then PULL UP on the pommel, this will help you sit deeper. Please note that you must not press down on the pommel as this will immediatley shunt your bum aut the back! :)

For the canter.
Continue pulling up on the pommel with the outside hand then reach around and hold the cantle with your inside hand again pulling up. Now you will be able to feel the movement that your body needs to make to cope with canter.

I also do this exercise in an enclosed arena with horses I trust, the rider puts the horse into canter then holds the back of the saddle with both hands.

I like Dressage and Showing, I don't ride much these days, having to work for a living and the old joints don't like the work. I teach people to ride or now more to improve their riding. I no longer have a riding school.

I have two horses, a clydesdale filly called Serenity who is just 2yrs old and a yearling Anglo Arab colt called Tigris. I like to show them in hand and will one day find a young rider to ride Tigris. Serenity is going to be a brood mare, I hope to breed nice Sport Horses from her.

How long have you been riding? You sound as if you are enjoying it all. It is hard when you are learning, but you will get a real buzz when you get thigs right.

I've put some pictures of my horses in a link in the Chat area. Most of them are photos of past horses and pupils and their is a couple of Serenity.

I've been riding somewhere over a year.I would like to do Dressage and to me Dressage looks fun. :D I'm not learning Dressage yet. Is Dressage easy? How are your horses? I always thought foal were cute. :) can i hear from you soon?

Practice your sitting trot a couple of times around the arena because the better the sitting trot the better the canter.

Then sit deep in to your saddle while you ask for canter. Then make sure your heels are down and your feet are by your horses sides and relax and off you go.

newrider.com