how to keep hands still when sitting trot

h0rse

Mar 9, 2022
Hello, I would like some tips for keeping my hands still when sitting trot. When I do sitting trot I feel a bit unbalanced with my hands and they move with my body, instead of the horses body. What can I do to stop this from happening? Thank you.

Practice, it's about keeping your elbows loose, like when your walking carrying a full cup of tea, if you lock your elbows the tea sloshes out of the cup, keep your elbows soft and hands independent the tea stays in the cup :)

When I grabbed a strand of mane with my little fingers, I realized the problem. I immediately felt how unstable my arm was. Then only practice to strengthen the landing, the body and arms stabilized approximately at the same time.

But your elbows really need to be by your side, not flapping about.
If you concentrate on that, you can indeed soften your hands. Our RI told us to imagine we were holding a newly hatched chick.
I have to say it is so long since I had the luxury of riding without stirrups or sitting trot that I am hardly one to tell you what to do. I share a horse who comes with baggage attached. A whole lot of things "She does not do" because she is said to be such a bumpy ride. And I have to take notice of that.

Put a whip straight over the wither and hold onto it with both hands (if that makes sense) that way it will be very difficult to move one hand without pulling the other. Equally you could get a breast plate and hold onto that while you ride

Reactions: Alex786 and domane
newrider.com