How to find a good riding stables

JodieB

Dec 12, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I am a new rider in my mid 50's. I had a few lessons years ago in my 20's but it was such a long time ago I consider myself to be a complete beginner.

I would like some advice on what to look for when choosing a riding stables and instructor.

I have sampled 3 riding schools in my area and trying to decide which is going to be best for me. The first I had a half hour group lesson which I shared with two small children. I felt confident that a fair bit of time was spent checking the riding hat fitted properly. We then did some walking and a bit of trot holding on to the front of the saddle and the pony was led. Pony was held on dismount.

The second a slightly different experience with a much bigger riding school. Here I had a half hour shared lesson which involved a lot of talk about the safety, but no one checked riding hat we were just told to get a hat. A bit of walking and a small amount of trotting being led and again holding on to the front of the saddle. Horse held on dismount and given strict instructions on how to get off.

Third place, an hours group lesson, Hat selected for me and checked for fitting. The lesson was completely different. No being led. Walking around in circles and figure of 8s and changing direction. Quite a lot of trotting was told not to hold on to the saddle just try and "go for it". Pony held and instructed how to dismount. Was asked to lead the pony back and put in the stables. I quite liked this and have had another lesson here this time similar lesson, no help dismounting which was fine. However we were told to do rising trot of which I have a vague idea although not completely sure and then sitting trot of which I have no idea and there was no particular instruction.

So my question is, why is everywhere so different? Which is the best way or does not matter is it just what you prefer. Is it better to have some private lessons as well as group lessons?

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

I sympathise. I started in my 60s.
It all depends on what the school understand by a person who says they rode as a child. My very first lesson they thought I knew more than I did and gave me to a student to lunge. She simply ;let go the rope when he leaped away. I did not fall off. But I was switched to a real bully of a teacher who reduced me to tears after every lesson.
Going to a RS isnt like going to a UK primary school. You can go to more than one riding school. And chop and change to find the right horse and teacher for what you want to learn. This may change over time and one moves on, like going to secondary school.
If you plan to continue riding, I recommend you buy your own hat ahd have it professionally and properly fitted. But you should know your hat size and it is marked on most RS hats.
The last place sounds good and you clearly liked it as you went back?
However, by that time you had ridden twice already? If you have never done something before like rising or sitting trot and it is assumed that you have then you should ask the teacher.
Many schools dont let one join a group until one can canter and in schools whiich teach beginners in groups, the first canter is normally taught in a one to one lesson.
If money is not a problem, I would recommend a few one on one private lessons with a skilled lunge teacher.
But I would also stay in the group to get saddle time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huggy
Hi, and welcome.

It sounds like stable number 3 gave you more experience. Personally i think if you gel with a yard/instrutor. Then stick with it. Theres nothing wrong with having a lesson with children but if your just walking around you arent getting much experience. I would book an hour/45 min lesson. 30 mins doesnt give you much and time flies. Although 30 minutes of lots of trotting when your muscles arent use to it might be enough. I would have some private lessons too. Remember you want to learn so if its not explained how to do something ask for clarification.
You dont say how much riding you did in your 20s. But to me if youve had 4 lessons now and ridden previous. You shouldnt be being told to hold the saddle unless you are riding without reins or on a lunge line. Also you should not need to be having someone hold the horse to dismount unless you have a bad behaved horse.

Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
Welcome to NR :) The third one sounds better to me based on what you have said about yourself and how you enjoyed it.
Every instructor has a different way of doing things, those who have only ever taught small kids will do things differently to those who teach adults routinely, then there's the different facilities and different animals that can all play into instructors decisions about the lessons. The best way is the one that works for you :)
You definitely need to speak up if you are unsure about what you are being asked to do, as you had lessons years ago and a few recently they may have assumed you knew about sitting/rising trot as you must have been doing one of them in the other lessons ;) :) Having someone hold the horse while you dismount the first time you visit a place is probably just a good precaution, so they can make sure you know what you are doing/are safe but shouldn't be necessary every time. It's nice that you get to put them back in the stable too, did someone show you how to secure the reins/stirrups before leaving the horse?
Private lessons are of great value, you will learn a lot more and progress much faster, but for some things you just need bum-in-saddle time so group lessons are good for that too as you get some time when the RI is working with other students to just concentrate on yourself :) If I were advising a friend IRL I would tell them to take group lessons and have top-up private lessons whenever they felt they were getting stuck on or struggling with something in particular :)

Reactions: Huggy and Feawen
I’m surprised that you weren’t asked to do an assessment lesson before joining a group. I have always been asked to do this at new schools, even as an established rider. Many places won’t let you join a group until they see you are comfortable steering at trot and can manage a canter.

I don’t think any of the schools did anything really wrong, the second one should ideally have checked your hat, but if you looked like you knew what you were doing perhaps they left you to it.

Some schools and some instructors will be more inclined to take things slow and steady, while others will let you have a go and see what happens like school number 3. Within reason there’s nothing wrong with either approach – it depends what you prefer to do. Riding is a risk sport; some schools will do all they possibly can to mitigate the risks, sometimes at the expense of progress, while others will be a bit more relaxed about encouraging you to try things but that brings a level of hazard!

The key things that make a good school in my opinion are well-trained, well-looked after horses, and knowledgeable instructors who will encourage you and help you improve. And, of course, somewhere you feel comfortable and enjoy being.

It won’t guarantee that a school is right for you, but places with BHS or ABRS accreditation should at least provide qualified and structured instruction. You can find lists of approved schools online and they should display a plaque as well.

Wishing you happy riding!

Thank you to everyone for your replies. It has been very helpful. I like the 3rd school best and am going to stick with them.

I will have a word with the instructor just to make sure she knows I have never ridden a horse at canter as this seems to be something which happens at the end of the lesson with each individual rider having a canter around. I think she probably knows though as she just got me to walk around on my turn although the horse seemed quite keen on trotting. But it was all fine.

I think you are absolutely right in what you say that the group is great for just getting some time on the horse and getting a feel for it but I think I will see if I can manage a private lesson every other week or something because then I can ask lots more questions and see if I can learn to feel properly comfortable with sitting and rising trot.

As to the stirrups and reins. I was shown how to secure the stirrups on the first lesson and I asked someone to show me that again this week to make sure I was doing it properly. They didn't say anything about the reins though so I will ask about that this week.

This is all a massive learning curve with so many new things but I am enjoying it and my legs and core ache today so obviously good exercise too!

Reins left loose on the horse in the stable can get caught, or perhaps you removed the bridle completely? if not they are often tucked under a stirrup, double looped around the neck or twisted and secured with the throat latch, well they were when I learnt anyway :D

Cross posted but will post this none the less.
. I would book an hour/45 min lesson. 30 mins doesnt give you much and time flies. Although 30 minutes of lots of trotting when your muscles
I agree about 30 minutes not being enough but I started with that. One is at the mercy of the RS. By the time I had adjusted my girth and the stirrups, half the lesson had gone. However, I did learn to do those things and that came in useful years later.

I also learned to put the horse away, untack him and put the rug on. These are valuable skills. Handling a horse on the ground can be as important as riding him.

There is another problem here - the best RHS recognised schools are often in great demand, with waiting lists for adult classes and several one to one teachers and their pupil may be sharing one small arena. My first canter was repeatedly delayed because of other students in the arena.

After almost a year I moved to a school that was further away but which was teaching another o.a.p. to ride with understanding and kindness. There I had the school to myself, expert scrutiny from a BHS show judge and went on my first hack too.
But then the (only) teacher left and the incoming new teacher refused to teach me the way she had recommended..
I moved to a yard where people were taught to ride via hacking which suited me so well I remained long term, But I also went back to the first school to get confidence cantering in an arena.

All these schools were BHS recognised schools and during these ups and downs I was assisted notable by BHS AIs here on New Rider.
At a recognised school, the horses are very unlikely to be mistreated. But staff may be low paid and very transient. One needs to shop around and chop and change.

I’m surprised that you weren’t asked to do an assessment lesson before joining a group. I have always been asked to do this at new schools, even as an established rider. Many places won’t let you join a group until they see you are comfortable steering at trot and can manage a canter.
feawen, You are correct that is BHS practice. But in London and also BHS recognised one finds shools which encourage kids from deprived areas to ride. My penniless grandchildren went to one for a time and everyone is taught in a group with the ponies being let round the arena, as described above.
Once they can walk and trot being led and then are able to do it on their own, they are promoted to the next class. walk and trot only but off the lead rope.
When ready they had a one to one canter introduction.
And then go into the beginners w t c class.
It is a very slow but low cost way of learning to ride and that is why the OP may have felt to learn nothing.

I hope you enjoy your lessons and are able to work things out as you go along - I have told my story because tho it sounds fine to say I learned to ride as an eldery adult, it was not plain sailing.

Reactions: Feawen
Hello and welcome - just add my two penn'orth - agree with everyone, the 3rd one sounds best, and you seemed to enjoy. Let us know how things go

Problem with beginners is that the lessons are often taught by unqualified or trainee instructors, or younger less experienced instructors. Simply because they have to learn too and they would not be able to teach the more experienced rider - they would not know enough yet. I suggest that every 3rd lesson you should opt for a half hour private lesson but request a well qualified instructor - or their more experienced instructor. OH - and check the websites of each riding school first - look for a good site which shows all their facilities - if the yard is a member of a trade organisation or society that is good. Go and visit them first check them out. tell them you are thinking of taking up riding and wanted to look around - why should they mind ? Are they friendly and helpful. Do they have clean and tidy stables (inside the stables should be clean not full of mucky dirty bedding). Is the tack room clean and tidy. Look for one which has at least 3 instructors - check the qualifications of the instructors. Make sure your lessons are booked with a qualified instructor - ask about it don't leave it and hope. That is a start anyway.

Last edited:
newrider.com