How to deal with rearing?

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Not sure where to put this as it could be a rider training issue or a horse training or whatever.
Anyhow, question as in the title really, this is in hand by the way not ridden and I'm just curious to see how other people deal with this.
Belle doesn't like lunging and makes that quite clear with her 'stroppy' face and suchlike, but the last couple of times we've been in the school to lunge she's reared at me, not kicking out with fronts just going up in front of me and pulling a face, this has been before I've even asked her to do anything at all, literally as soon as we get in the school and shut the door. Any suggestions for novice handler as I'll be honest I do find it a little bit intimidating.

I haven't had that myself so I can't give any advice of my own.

I would be inclined to get someone experienced in to sort it out for you, I suspect its a 'respect' and 'space' handling issue.

Whatever it is, someone experienced can look and see what's going on then work through it for you.

Back her up as soon as she comes down, you have to make it uncomfortable for her to rear, obviously don't try and do that while in rear mode as she could go over backwards.

To bring her down quicker, could move from side to side, then as soon as she hits the ground with the fronts make her move back, you don't want her to rear again so careful how you do it.

This is what a NH person advised me to do when my mare used to rear being brought in from the field.

I'm sure someone more in the know will advise better than i can, i can see how to do it in my head but writing it down, probs got it wrong! lol

Since rearing is a strong reaction by a horse & it's a new behaviour from her I'd start by geting her checked to be sure there isn't a physical reason for it.

If she gets the all clear then I'd suggest the same as Tina, get someone experienced to watch & see what they think the problem is & how best to safely deal with it. I really wouldn't want to give advice on what to do without seeing you both & her doing it, but what I will say is have a look at how things are with your day to day handling & make sure that the boundries are clear & obeyed there because very often if there's a problem like this it's showing to a lesser degree elsewhere too.

Innocence that's interesting as backing up is precisely what I don't do because it puts more weight at the rear and less at the front which I believe would make it more likely to happen again. Instead, and i dont know if this is right, i pop him in circles when he comes down. Little Un is a rearer and does it when anxious or in pain, not as play or exuberance. Therefore keeping him moving to aid his brain is what works for him.

I was aways taught not to back up rearers too Joyscarer, and for the same reason. Also if you're on the ground then backing them up is likely to place you in a vulnerable position, not something I'd advise anyone to do unless they were capapble of very quickly reading the situation & getting themselves out of harms way -in which case they wouldn't be asking my advice in the first place!

As a non-expert I have been taught that rearing is a matter where one should seek professional help. One trainer I know who deals with rearing (and visits owners) is Richard Maxwell and his DVD will show you how to "lunge" with two lines to increase your control of the horse and impose changes of direction without needing to alter the lunge line.
However, in your case I would look back at what you have previously posted about the behaviour of your horse on the ground, for example in your one year on report. On NR we dont post negative replies - we are supposed to be supportive. But to my mind your happy post did not bode well.
Horses will offer the behaviour they think is OK by the owner - That is the Mark Rashid theory anyway. You gave a sort of amused approval to lack of ground manners.
In your place I would go back to square one where leading and ground work is concerned. Avoid tackling anything that intimidates you - John Lyons insists you should set things up to make things easy - Teach the horse, step by step, the behaviour you expect of it - that you have authority and control - That might sort out the rearing/ lunging problem.

You really need this anyway, since you like to hack. If you ever have to dismount while out and about, you need a horse that will lead nicely, and stand to be re-mounted. People often thought I was wasting my riding lesson time when I painstakingly made the lesson horse stand still for me to mount her, - but when she became my share that paid off.
My private belief is that everyone learning to ride should spend time learning to lead and manage a horse from the ground. That it should be taken as seriously as riding. So as yet, on a forum we cant say whether the rearing in the school (and the bucking out hacking) is a problem with the horse or just that you are, as you say, a novice and still have stuff to practise.

I am not experienced with rearing, but we have a horse on my yard who rears vertical. The advice his owner has been given is to simply ignore it. She just lets him rear and then asks him to what ever it was he was being asked to do before the rear. This horse has had a full MOT several times and the owner is sure that the rearing is a severe form of napping rather than anything else. If you make a fuss of the rear, he rears again and again, but if you ignore it then he is more likely to settle down. You do need nerves of steel though.

Just out of interest KR is this a full on rear? Becca has done 2 little half rears since I've had her these last 2 weeks. One was when she was getting very impatient standing still and the other when she didn't want to go on the lunge also. The first I moved her in a tight circle after and then made her stand again and the lunge situation I walked up to her when all fours were safely on the floor and walked her on by her side then sent her away again ( I have no idea if this was the right thing to do). I have no experience with what to do with rearers either so will watch this thread with interest.

I know Hafies are renowned for being a little stubborn if they don't want to do something but I've only had her here a couple of weeks and getting her back and saddle checked next week just to rule everything out as rearing is like carthorse says, a strong reaction. Seeing as it's a new behaviour with Belle I agree definitely get her checked.

Depends on the why. If its something new that you haven't had before I would be inclined to think of physio.
Mine does it albeit significantly less, but there was always a reason, initially it was an attitude with altitude that we worked through.
If it worries you, seek an instructor.

Thanks all, some interesting replies. I don't remember saying Belle had groundwork issues on my one year on post, we don't.Shes normally very good on the ground,i can lead her any where normally, she'll go when I go, stop when I stop, move over, backwards and anything else I ask, can safely get off and back on on hacks, so not really understanding that bit. Just had physio, all fine, teeth due next week but a she only had her rope halter on and it doest touch her teeth can't see it being that but may be wrong.She can be opinionated, especially if shes asked to do something she doesn't want to do, but sometimes like any horse. Not full on rears, I think that would be far to much like hard work, it felt like a protest like a child having a strop and rightly or wrongly she got sent straight out onto a circle and made to work for her outburst. Have booked a lesson any way for some advice.

Innocence that's interesting as backing up is precisely what I don't do because it puts more weight at the rear and less at the front which I believe would make it more likely to happen again. Instead, and i dont know if this is right, i pop him in circles when he comes down. Little Un is a rearer and does it when anxious or in pain, not as play or exuberance. Therefore keeping him moving to aid his brain is what works for him.

I thought it weird at the time too but it worked for my mare, although i wouldn't do it with someone elses horse without getting help first. She was only a baby at the time not that it should make a difference. I was also taught about keeping them walking on once back up achieved.

I haven't had to do it since and that was some 3 years ago now so no doubt perceptions have changed or im not remembering it right. lol

Storm has never reared when ridden but has had the odd rear coming in from the field. I was so shocked and annoyed last time I simply commanded her in my best Barbara Woodhouse voice to "get down how dare you" kind of thing. She was annoyed at being brought in early and behind Chloe and thought she should lead. We have solved the lroblem by not being so rigid in our routine - not saying she won't do it again but I doubt if the need for it will arise ( but never say never).

I treat rearing differently depending on the situation, but when it comes to rearing on the lunge, I tend to just take it as a "refusal to move forwards" - so my response, like other people above, is to ignore it and send them on. As soon as they come back down to earth, I position myself behind their inside shoulder and flick my lunge whip at their bum to drive them forwards. Getting cross / attempting to "punish" her could well just encourage another rear, and as others have also mentioned I too would avoid backing her up, you are practically inviting her to do it again. Something else - is it normal for you to lunge her in her rope halter? - if so I wonder if her dislike of lunging has something to do with the pressure points and not being happy / comfortable when pressure is applied.

I have to admit I am not a fan of lunging, I feel that it puts alot of strain on a horse - so if this is something new shes doing I would as another poster put check there is no pain causing the behaviour. Try mixing it up a little to keep her more focased by going wide, putting in poles etc. As I said I would maybe give her a little MOT firstly.

She's found a way of avoiding work and she's using it. It's an evasion.

There is obviously something very lacking in your relationship which is allowing her to intimidate you into letting her have her own way. Interestingly, you don't say anything about how you handle her just prior to her rearing, or about how you taught her to lunge, but I suspect this has everything to do with the 'problem'.

Horses are very astute, and can spot any weaknesses or lack of commitment in their handlers, and this is often how problems arise. The horse will try small evasions and if the handler fails to address them the horse quickly builds on them and they become big issues.

If I were you, I'd not fixate on the rearing, but I would take the horse in-hand and start again with some very basic halter work, teach yielding, and prepare the horse for lunging by training it to yield its fore (head, neck and shoulder), so that you can send her forward on a circle without her attempting evasions.

She's found a way of avoiding work and she's using it. It's an evasion.

There is obviously something very lacking in your relationship which is allowing her to intimidate you into letting her have her own way. Interestingly, you don't say anything about how you handle her just prior to her rearing, or about how you taught her to lunge, but I suspect this has everything to do with the 'problem'.

Horses are very astute, and can spot any weaknesses or lack of commitment in their handlers, and this is often how problems arise. The horse will try small evasions and if the handler fails to address them the horse quickly builds on them and they become big issues.

If I were you, I'd not fixate on the rearing, but I would take the horse in-hand and start again with some very basic halter work, teach yielding, and prepare the horse for lunging by training it to yield its fore (head, neck and shoulder), so that you can send her forward on a circle without her attempting evasions.

Completely understand what your saying here, however, she is very good with basic halter work, she can and will do all the things you are suggesting and does them willingly, I can send her out onto a circle now with no problems and compared to a lot of horses I've seen on the lunge she is actually very good.
I'm in no way 'fixating' on the rearing was merely asking how other people respond to it and from what I've read it would seem I did the right thing by sending her straight out onto the circle and getting her moving.
Personally I don't see how her rearing twice in a year means we have a serious problem with our 'relationship' and I admit it did un nerve me slightly but it didn't stop me asking her to do what I wanted her to do and it didn't let her have her own way, I may have only been an owner for three years but I am not completely ignorant with regard boundaries and personal space etc etc.

I was handling her exactly the same as I always do before she reared but maybe I missed a tiny cue from her that she was about to rear. Hey ho thanks for the replies and I'm glad that I did something right at least and hopefully I haven't ruined her.

Gimp I'm not a huge fan of lunging either, but sometimes either because I'm short of time or she's soaking wet or because I'm just in too much pain to ride I find it useful to give her a little excersise.
We always use the whole school and mix things up with pole work etc anyway. Also as said previously she's just had her physio and was found to be fit and well, no sore bits, no stiffness very flexible all good, waiting for teeth next week so maybe it's that. Vet out two weeks ago for jabs and annual check up, all good and no issues at all with her health.

However, in your case I would look back at what you have previously posted about the behaviour of your horse on the ground, for example in your one year on report. On NR we dont post negative replies - we are supposed to be supportive. But to my mind your happy post did not bode well.
Horses will offer the behaviour they think is OK by the owner - That is the Mark Rashid theory anyway. You gave a sort of amused approval to lack of ground manners.
In your place I would go back to square one where leading and ground work is concerned. Avoid tackling anything that intimidates you - John Lyons insists you should set things up to make things easy - Teach the horse, step by step, the behaviour you expect of it - that you have authority and control - That might sort out the rearing/ lunging problem.

You really need this anyway, since you like to hack. If you ever have to dismount while out and about, you need a horse that will lead nicely, and stand to be re-mounted. People often thought I was wasting my riding lesson time when I painstakingly made the lesson horse stand still for me to mount her, - but when she became my share that paid off.
My private belief is that everyone learning to ride should spend time learning to lead and manage a horse from the ground. That it should be taken as seriously as riding. So as yet, on a forum we cant say whether the rearing in the school (and the bucking out hacking) is a problem with the horse or just that you are, as you say, a novice and still have stuff to practise.

Reply with whatever you feel is right Skib, I don't mind constructive criticism, Im open to anyone's views - doesn't mean I'll always listen but I'll certainly take note, I am confused by what you say though with regard my behaviour issues with Belle? I don't recall having any, or maybe that's your point? Im too dumb to see them? Yes she pinches my hat in the field when I'm poo picking sometimes and yes she also sometimes tips my barrow over if I'm not looking but I can't see why that is a behaviour issue? Please enlighten me if you would as if I'm doing something majorly wrong I would like to know. Also she had never bucked on a hack ever, so not sure where that came from either? She did have a buck up in our top field but never on a hack :unsure:

If malaika has a paddy she rears,I just ignore and once feet are down send her on and don't make a biggy out of it.
She came with this behaviour and I (touch wood) havnt seen it for a long while.like you all health checks were in place and ticked off and after figuring out if it was fear or I don't want to we have worked it out together.
Not ideal but twice in a year imo sounds like a test of the boundary which they all do,malaika does it with her shoulder ;) let's just see how far I can push you over before you realise.
I don't think its a huge crack in your relationship far from it just a partnership testing eachother out.
They are like kids at times I think ;)
Chin up you did good and you and belle share a fab relationship look how far you have come together xxx

newrider.com