How to convince parents to get you a horse!

GOOD LUCK!!!

And let me know how you do it if you succeed!!! I spent years trying to convince my parents- never did. Now I am too old and will have to buy one for myself.

ANyway, this wasn't any help, but I just wanted to say good luck! :)

He's a stunner...

Are you sure you are experienced enough to take on this horse? TBs are a lot of work. I should know. How long have you been riding, how much do you know about looking after a horse, can you afford him, where are you going to keep him, do you have the time and patience to take him on? Horses are a lot of work and a great financial drain. If you can honestly say you can deal with him, and can answer the questions I asked satisfactorily, then your best plan of action is to show your parents you intend to be mature and responsible about this horse, and take them to see him, let them watch you ride him, and if you're not paying, then you'll just have to hope he's suitable and pay up. Good Luck. :)

I have been riding for two years (that doesn't sound like a lot) And I probably won't get that horse, I'm just trying to get my parents closer to letting me get a horse so that when I am ready, and can handle a horse, i t won't take me 40 years! :) I understand your questions Show Jumper. And I respect them. Thanks for the tips though!

how to suceed...???

Why don't you VOULENTEER at a local riding stable, helping schooling kids, mucking stalls and learning as MUCH as you can about horses will doing this! This will prove to your parents that you are deicated enough to spend your time for horses... with out getting money for it either... Proving that you'll do anything just because you love horses.
good luck!
I did this to prove to my parents... All though they could not aford to buy me my own horse they aloud me to buy my own. I have a part time job and pay for the horses needs... but I proved to them that i was responsible enough by voulnteering for many years (almost two years).

lol, convincing people to do things is practicly my CAREER. it's easy for me.

Probably like Gracie said, volenteer, maybe get books on horses, and study them (and leave a few plainly but not TO obviously around the house) this lets your parents find out for themselves (saving face) that your studying, then be SUPER nice, once again, not TO obviously, help a little bit more around the house, occasionally (again don't push it or your parents will get suspicious) maybe buy them a present or 2 if you can. this puts them in your favor. Next (give it a month or 2) next, write a detailed (mine was 20 pages) report on horses, hide it in your room.

Then ask to do extra chores and stuff for money, wash the car, ask other people, save up as much money as you can, do NOT spend this money, save it.

give mom and dad the report.

it's also nice to make a few promises and keep them before this to:

bring these into ploy, work your heart out on school and get the best grade possible, a day or 2 after you come home with it, write a really nice, well grammared, well spelled, polite letter, telling them what you want (it's always nice to offer to help pay for expenses, and to do extra chores at home, and a few other miscelanious things. and KEEP them. Tell them that you even saved some money to help out with it.

If it doesn't work, stay low for a few days and repeat process till it does work.

I had to do this and it took me 2 years just to get a hamster, but it worked.

so the whole thing is buttering them up

(do be sure that they can afford it. The horse may be able to eat grass but you can't!

oh what a task!

convince parents to buy you a horse.hmm..its a hard thing...im 20...and have ben trying since i was 8 to convince my parents to buy a horse for me..and they never did (which annoyed me coz my brothers got everything they wanted)
My parents knwo how much i love hroses...they know im extremely responsible for them..they know its the only thing that will get me out of bed at the crack of dawn..and they think im mad to ride when its pouring with raina dn really cold...so they know im dedicated...however im still trying to get them to buy me one..but im at the age where i should buy my own...i woudl love them to buy me a hors enow that in say 2 years i can give them back the money they gave me to buy the horse etc...im saving...but very slowly...i dont earn much money at th emoment because i only work part time while i study and ride and i also have a horse share that i pay for myself so i can gain experience of having my 'own' horse. But i tell you i wouldnt nag at you parents because they will never buy you one..i woudl suggest you talk to them once in a while about it. Show them somehow how dedicated you are..and of course if you have a mother like mine that is scared stiff of horses you got alot of hard work...because she will tell your dad not to buy oen etc...like with any animal parents are sometimes reluctant to purhcase because they believe that after a few months you will loose interest...and what about when you get older ? my cousin has had hroses all her life but between the age of 18-21 she lost interest and her mum ended up looking after them.but anyway good luck!:)

hey!!:)

Hey, I was just like you, i wanted a horse ever since i rode one. I bagged my parents everyday... Show them that you are responsable, of coarse. My goal was that my paretns said i had to get a good grade point average, and i did, so i got my own horse. We started looking and in summer of august 2000, i found my horse! Just to let ya know, don't get the first horse you see, cause there could be somethin wrong with it you never know! Make sure you go out and take a good look at a lot of horses, and compare which one you like the best, bcuz there is soo many too choose from! Remeber don't forget the saying *Buyer Beware* When i went I fell in love with every horse i saw!lol! It took me a year to find that one, Eventually i found my first pefect horse, and i know you will to!Plez update us if your parents plan on getting you one!*Good Luck* :)

Good Idea Silver, I might just leave a couple of my horse books lying out at the "Buying Your First Horse" page! And I have already started the letter on my computer! :D

Also I am a Junior Volounteer at a local therapuetic (sp?) riding stable. (it's also where I take lessons)

I'll keep you posted! :)

Good luck getting yourself a horse. I’ve been after one since I started riding (about 7 years ago) and still haven’t succeeded. I’m closer now though then I’ve ever been – I found an advertisement about as Thoroughbred which required exercising, went along, and now he’s mine. His name’s Jake and he’s wonderful (totally hyper and slightly psychotic, but what TB isn’t?) I have an agreement with his owner: he stays at their place, but I'm completely in charge of him. They feed and shoe and worm him alongside their other horses, but I pay for anything I particularly want him to have (new numnah, show entries, reflective gear, etc). It's a brilliant agreement and so far is working out well. When they get a new pony for the children, I will be giving them jumping lessons. I suggest you look around for a horse to exercise – working at a stables is hard work (far harder than looking after your own) and you frequently get taken advantage of. As Jessica said, don’t go for the first one you see unless he’s absolutely perfect (Jake was the second I saw and it was love at first sight.) If possible, have a trial period – 6 weeks is a good length of time. And again, GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I tried for a while, but then i thoguht well if they won't i will, so i started to save up, and i went without all the extras you might want, and my parents saw how serious i was becuase i was working on saturdays at the local stables, i did carboot sales. so they said they would pay for her, but i had to pay them back when i was older and i had to pay for feed, but they do pay for stabling, hay etc. so i have now been owning my own horse for 6 months, and it's great. But i never realised how much work she is, because before i only had one on loan, and he didn't need feeding everyday

i know how you feel!!!

I totaly know how you feel jumpergirl!! i have been riding for 6 years since we moved here and ever since then i have wanted my own horse! my parents feel bad for not buying a place with more land when we came here. Now they feel even worse i can't get a horse. i have the chance to get a once in a lifetime hore now....he is a quarter horse and a real sweetheart! him and i get along great! the best part of the deal is i would get him for free seeing as they only want him to go to a good home because he is not a good lesson horse (he's a "one person horse"). all i would have to pay is $150 a month for board but they don''t think it's a good idea because in 2 years i will be going to collage....so looks like i'm out of luck again!! hopefully you have better luck then me! what you could do is get your parents to let you try him...talk to the owners and see if you like him. some people will let you have a "trial period" where you talk the horse and see if he is the one for you!!!

Good luck and DON"T GIVE UP!!!!

Be Responsible

Mayb you could show them a timetable like how you would manage your schoolwork and ur horse then show them how expensive the costs will b like insurance, tack.... Mayb that way you'll show them that ur responsible enough to get a horse

can i just ad that this horse may seem the one for you but believe me there will be other horses better than this one that will be the one for you..they dont come by frequently but they do come so dont jump at the first 'perfect' hrose that you think is for you because afterall he may not be that perfect!
that was something my trainer tells me because i finda horse that i click with once every couple of years but i knwo that when the time comes when i know i can actually have my own horse i will fidn the one for me whetehr it takes a couple of weeks to a coupl eof years! There will always be others so dont beat yourslef over the head because of this horse..there WILL be others

newrider.com