How to complain about bridleway??

atillathefun

Jan 7, 2005
Essex
Visit site
Hello Does anyone know or have any experience of complaining to the council about the state of a Bridleway?
I have just printed off the joining forms for the local bridleway association so hopefully they can help me but I was thinking of getting a petition :confused: or something toether as calls to the council do not get any response. Or should I and get other locals to write??

It is so bogey in places and its clay so to ride through it is pretty dangerous at the moment as they sink about 2 foot and then cant pull there legs back out :eek:

Anyone know or have any ideas ??

Thankyou :D

Have a look on your County Council's website, there will either be contact details or a contact form to fill in for the Rights of Way section.

Good Luck

In our area someone keeps a horse in bridleway complete with couple of goats for company and field shelter.

We have complained to council they are hopeless,we asked warden if a risk assessment had been undertaken as don't fancy trying to even open gate to get on bridleway as this horse and goats are always the other side of gate waiting to get out.

Wardens answer was that she had carried out a risk assessment by getting someone to ride her horse through as she was too scared to.Apparently they managed to get through without letting resident animals out but she still wouldn't be happy doing it herself.Well we certainly wouldn't attempt it with our kids.

The warden knows who owns these animals but said she always gets a mouthful from them, so does nothing.

Apparently if we did try to access this bridleway and resident animals got out we would be liable for animals ect

I don't know why i bother paying for grazing,when it seems simple enough to just take over a public bridleway.

Sorry about rant but this really p****d me off!!!!!

There are hard and fast rules concerning what can and cannot be done on a bridleway with reference to obstruction etc. You are not allowed to fence them off or obstruct in any other way for instance.

If you log onto the BHS website, all the information you need is on there.

All local, or county councils have a Rights of Way department so anyone should be able to ring up and complain if things aren't right.

I would urge everyone to join their local Bridlways Association and there are lists of these on the BHS website.

I would also urge anyone with a problem to ring their council and keep ringing until you get something done. But, make sure you know what your rights are and do a bit of homework on Public Rights of Way. Use it or lose it!!!!!!!!

Bridleways are the responsibilty of your county council.

I would also suggest contacting your parish council and your local district councillors as they generally are very interested in these types of cases and may be able to support your complaint.

You need to contact your local council, rights of way dep. I did this about 6 months ago and explained that we needed this for access to the quieter lanes so that it was safer for all concerned. Within 2 weeks, they had completely cleared the bridleway. They did originally mention that they had a budget to stick to, but i found in meeting them halfway,ie- they completely cleared the bridleway, a group of us volunteered to maintain it worked, not ideal and we all pay council tax so should be done anyway!
If you work with the council then i think you will get the job done - good luck, off road riding in some areas these days is very precious!

Thanks for all your replies I gues I will complain to the council again and try to get all the other local riders to complain too. I have done it many times before but they dont bother to do anything about it :rolleyes: Might put a bill in to them for 4 pairs of my sisters jods that have been torn by the brambles maybe then they will be more likely to do something about the state of it :p

If you are getting no response from the rights of way people, contact the leader of your Council stressing dangers & their liability to keep routes clear & safe. The BHS usually has a R O W officer as well & because they are an official body they seem to have more clout.

newrider.com