how soon to ride after gallbladder op?

K

kturner

Having gall bladder out in next week or two, by keyhole, unless something goes wrong.

If all goes well could I be mucking out and riding when horses come in after Nov 5th (fireworks night). Getting a little worried as only this month to go and dont have date yet. Dont have to do much with him now as he is in field 24/7.

AFAIK the recovery after keyhole surgery is fairly fast, aside from the normal post surgery pain! The scaring (which would be the biggest problem) is minimal... basically play it by ear, listen to your body and do as much as you can when you can :)

Preop nurse this week said, 2-4 weeks keyhole and 6-8 weeks if open surgery. 3 months no riding. I am fed up that Ive been waiting since May to get this sorted and now it is winter and pony has to come in during November at night. YO said he can stay out till end of Nov but not longer. They are allowed out during the day thank goodness, never been on a yard where they are not. Will get a date next week in letter form, hope it is soon.

Surgeon said he thinks it is stuck to liver and intestines etc, as so swollen, it is not just a few stones, but a bag a gravel, hundreds of little ones, so he may not get it out keyhole.

I wanted to be home next day and back at pony 2 days later! I dont mind not riding as it is winter and dont ride him more than once a month or every second month, so that is ok. We have plenty fun with groundwork and going for in hand walks and picnics. I get on him to go up the field to stable weekly though, especially in bad weather, it is easier and quicker than walking with a stick, sliding all over. Wont be able to do that!

Hi

I had my gallbladder out a couple of years ago, i had it done laproscopically and i was back at work within 4 weeks. They did say 2 weeks but i was a nurse on Intensive Care at the time and there is alot of moving and handling so i took the whole month off.

I think you will feel fine mucking out and doing daily horsey tasks after 2 - 4 weeks. After 4 weeks all the medical information i could find says vigerous activity is fine after 4 weeks. However, you could set yourself back if you fell because there will still be healing going on.

You could leave it a month and if you feel great have a word with the gp and see what he/she thinks about riding.

Good luck with your op it is not that bad and the op pain is far less severe than the pain of the attacks which is awful :eek:.

Surgeon said he thinks it is stuck to liver and intestines etc, as so swollen, it is not just a few stones, but a bag a gravel, hundreds of little ones, so he may not get it out keyhole.

Ooh that sounds nasty :(

Hopefully it won't be that bad and you'll be back in action fairly quickly after!! They do tend to make surgery patients get up and moving a lot quicker these days...

See I would say 4-6 weeks, but I know you have other medical history, if any of these affect immune system or healing rates then it would be a little longer... also I believe your little man can certainly be a monkey when he wants :rolleyes: - the risk is if he yanks for grass or mucks about and wreches you you could break the scar tissue etc.

Hope it helps to make you feel better though hun!! :)

I had my gallbladder out three years ago, during Spring Break at uni (fun fun!). I was down and out for about a week. Riding by week two. That's it. I was in a tiny bit of pain, but it was an outpatient procedure, I wasn't even in hospital overnight. It was laporoscopic.

Then again...I was riding five weeks after my C-section three months ago, so...I may not be the best one to ask :eek: I am terrible with pain, but I seem to heal fairly quickly from surgeries.

it really isn't that bad, if done laproscopically. I'm sure you'll be out for a lot longer if they have to end up doing regular surgery. I hope it all goes well for you! I didn't have stones...I had gallbladder disease. It was pretty much dead... By the time it came out, it only had 10% functionality :eek:

Hey, way to go , Kalypso! Hopefully that's me. I thought by getting the scooter it would help getting back to him earlier as well, but asked surgeons lady and she said I cant even go on that for 2 weeks because of pavements!:eek:

I an not in retrospect worried about me or the op at all, it is pony I want to get back to because I dont want anyone scaring him, or getting too heavy handed. (Other posts I mention two teenage girls that are there).

I sit on my bum with gloves and put dropppings in bucket and my friend adds it to hers, so I should be able to do that, he only does 3-5 small ones. Wet doesnt come out for 2-4 weeks anyway. Can get daughter to come and do that. He follows me up the field and out as well, but I will put body protector on for a while in case he starts nudging to play that way I wont get pulled.

My mum reckons the anasthetic is what will do me in, as I already have ME and arthritis and struggle with energy. She may be right, but I have heard of SLEEPWALKING, that may get me there. lol.:D

Will keep you informed. I am an emergency list, so may dissappear off here without warning.

newrider.com