how soon to exercise after eating?

tbaynancy

Jul 27, 2009
On weekends I like going to the barn first thing in the morning, before it gets too busy. I'm usually first one there, so I give Rusty his 1 cup of barley nuts (not really sure what they're called - have vitamins in them, not performance food or anything) and 2 scoops of Farrier's Formula. If he doesn't have any hay left over, I give him some to munch on while I get ready.

We're usually in the school about 45 minutes later (I like faffing around and not rushing). We don't do anything more strenuous than a bit of trotting and - just recently 5 seconds of cantering - for about 30 - 40 min.

Is this bad? Can exercising after eating cause colic? He hasn't shown any ill effects up to now, and is quite eager to be ridden. Should I feed him after we ride instead?

During the week it's not a problem, because I'm there after work.

You shouldnt feed before or after exercise.

I leave it an hour either side.

Same with horses and the dog!!!

Obviously this is just hard feed. You can exercise immediately after hay or grass.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but weird question, at what point does hard feed become hay/grass! If you're feeding chaff-type low calorie feed or small amounts of bailey's lo-cal would you still wait an hour?

I always knew you have to wait an hour before exercise for the food to digest. But I always thought after exercise what matters is that they cool down sufficiently? I was always under the impresion once their breathing has returned to normal and thier temperature is back to average, they're okay to be fed? Is that wrong?

Not that I feed Dobbs much anyway, and she's out 24/7 so doesn't really matter. But probably worth knowing!

Yeah I would feed after out of choice too.

Well I do feed after out of choice. But then they only have a handful of hifi anyway not a heavy feed and not dissimilar to hay

As Arns works best on a full tummy :)p) I always feed first.

He only has fibre - and a tiny amount at that, just half a scoop of Hi-Fi Lite with a sliced apple and his vits and mins.

I take him out as soon as I have groomed and tacked up so maybe 30 minutes after his bucket.

From all the advice I have had this is fine because it is only fibre, and to be honest it is not like Arns is asked to do the Grand National, just a 15 minute plodabout with me :cool::D.

Thanks for all the replies. I asked my RI/YO today (I think she was trying not to laugh when she answered me) and she said with what Rusty gets fed and the type of work we're doing, he'll be fine.

He was a bit sweaty under his girth today (but it was 25C) but we don't normally do anything too strenuous. In fact, until I started getting into better shape, I was winded and sweaty after our rides, and Rusty was cool as a cucumber. I felt like the only person on the yard who got sweatier than their horse!

Mine only gets 1/2 scoop (fits into palm of hand) of formula and a carrot and then tack up and go.

It's a mouthful of stuff and by sounds of it that's about what you give Rusty.

The 1hr rule is used on working yards where horses would eat literally a bucketful of straights, mash and chaff before going out for the day (RS, HY, RY etc). Now, straights (oats, barley, corn e.g. build up) take a while to digest or move from the tiny stomach to the intestine in that quantity. If the horse was taken out to work soon after without water, you can imagine this getting stuck in the eosophagus or duodenum causing choke and colic. Also, if a horse has been on lush grass, the same applies. Grass is more likely to cause colic (gas and motility problems as grass can ball up if eaten in large quantities too quickly) so another rule used is never work a horse straight off the grass.

As long as you're sensible about the amount of feed you give and what that consists of and you've given consideration to digestion - the average rider going out to potter in the school or an amble in the woods really shouldn't be a problem (I'm in this category :D).

Actually, I never pull him straight off the grass and ride him either. I still let him have an hour (which is the time I'm getting him ready usually) even if he's only been out grazing, just to know that there can be no excuses for his lack lustre performance!

Yaye for you cantering !!!

I ride Storm in a morning about 45 minutes after she's had her breakie. She gets a tiny handful of Happy Hoof (chop) and half a carrot and she's always gone fine off it. I do about half an hour of walk / trot and small bursts of canter. Its what I've been doing regularly and she seems fine. Not like I'm training for the Olympics or anything!

i feed mine before i bring them up to the stable, otherwise Rosie drags me up the hill and we get tangled in electric fencing! mine also just have handful of Fast Fibre, and handful Good Doer. then they munch a haynet whilst i faff and tack up. But generally we dont go out for about 45 mins+ anyway.

Ive noticed people on the yard come back from a hack and then feed straight away! big no no personally!

newrider.com