How old were your children when you got them their first pony?

Gimp

Gimpy Gimp Gimp
Jan 19, 2005
I just wondered how old peoples children were when they got them their first pony?

My eldest daughter ( now 17!) had her first one when she was approx 5. She always liked helping out with the horses and doing the work, but she never persued riding. She was quite a natural confident rider and continued to ride my horses and had the occasional riding lessons.

I hope to get my youngest a pony at an earlier age, I am not in a position to at the moment - perhaps next year or the year after ( in an attempt to get her more intrerested.

Ive been very lucky in the fact my new home has land and stables - resisting the urge to fill them will be a tough one :ninja:

My daughters pony was a shetland, he was the only equine I could not break in for driving ! He was a character though and very strong willed!!! and even though a total devil in disguise he always tuned in and lived upto his job as a first pony when my daughter was on board.

love to see pics of peoples first ponys !

Attachments

• floyd.jpg
    floyd.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 14
I NEVER HAD A PONY and always always wanted one. On my 7th birthday my parents said to me, "Jane, we cannot imagine that we will ever be able to afford to buy you a pony. Please stop asking."

I really wish they had lived long enough to see me so happy with Ziggy.

I don't have kids of my own or I would have a whole litter of little pones!

Bought daughter an amazingly kind 38" Shetland when she was 3.( came from the sales in Aberdeen) Hacked on lead rein from foot and from my horse, went round local farms delivering Christmas cards, did PC jumping on lead rein, went to hunt meets etc, took her showing on lead rein and then off lead when she was about 5.

Also bought a scatty but stunning Welsh that was really mine that she sat on in the ring fromthe age of 5, scared her a lot (pony was schooled to my voice but very sharp) When she was 6 bought her a lovely experienced 14yo Working Hunter pony that was her best friend and taught her everything...we had him for 9 wonderful years !!

Shetland for Nat at 2 and sec A at 7 ....my younger two have her 'hand me downs' quite nice really as then I donth ave to part with anyone lol

My daughter is nearly 8yrs old and got her first pony when she was 6yrs old, it was a shetland but he was a little tinker. We perservered with him for a year but she wasn't progressing on him. She now has a 13.1HH Welsh X and although she doesn't quite fit him yet, they adore each other and he will try his hardest for her.

My daughter does have regular lessons at the local riding school and is part of the PC.

I NEVER HAD A PONY and always always wanted one. On my 7th birthday my parents said to me, "Jane, we cannot imagine that we will ever be able to afford to buy you a pony. Please stop asking."

I really wish they had lived long enough to see me so happy with Ziggy.

I don't have kids of my own or I would have a whole litter of little pones!

I never gave up on the hope that maybe I would get a pony for Christmas but that was never going to happen as I was constantly told by my parents they couldn't afford riding lessons. :frown:

I'm making up for it now though and hope that I'll be in a position to have my own horse in the future... I'm already looking longingly at share listings... :wink:

I suspect that if I ever have children I'd have to resist getting lots of little ponies too!

Section a called Tiny when she was 10. Still got her and the next one she grew out of and her third one she is growing out of. Can't sell them, daughter now studying equines at college and we have ended up with a kiddies riding school cos we couldn't sell them on (or the others we 'aquired')
Out of what was originally a loan pony we now have our own rather successful business and I am about to leave my job as the ponies are now supporting themselves and us :giggle:

I was 29 when I bought my first pony, first horse at 26 :D

I had a loan horse from the age of 10-17 when I stopped riding, my mum refused to buy me a horse as she knew how much work was involved.

My best friend's daughter had her first Sec A at 18 months, he was sadly PTS when she was 4 and I found her another sec A, she's now nearly 6 and does everything on this pony, including lots of charging round at speed off the lead rein (she wants to be a jockey when she's older!)

Small child though also brings in/turns out, mucks out and grooms pony on her own.

My children only have a slight interest in horses. My 5 year old has had one riding lesson and I thought that if he begged to go back (as I did at his ages) then I would pay for more lessons for him. He hasn't really mentioned it though, and very rarely wants to come and see my horse. I therefore cannot see me buying him a pony at all - I only want him to have one if he is dedicated enough and he just doesn't seem interested.

My 2 year old cries when my horse even looks at him and won't walk round the yard because he doesn't like the dogs. The early signs show that Ben will be the only horse in our family. He is just far too big for my children to ride at the moment, but perhaps in 5 years or so when my son will probably be taller than me I might let him have a go.

I was 27 when I got my first horse - not purcahsed by my parents!

I begged and begged for a pony when I was little but nope, parents couldn't afford it - no matter, the waiting made me more determined to get one and ta-da!!!!! I have Roxy!

awwe some really cute stories :angel:

I never had a pony when I was a kid, or lessons ( apart from 2 for a birthday present) I spent my youth cycling miles to do work for rides locally.

I really wish I rode when I was a kid though

My eldest had a pony for a few months but sadly when the novelty wore off after the first 6 weeks didn't go near him so I sold him,son didn't notice until he'd been gone for a month. Never repeated the offence even though our youngest rode as a child. Thinking about it it can make you really hungry for horses if you grow up wanting one, certainly did for me as grew up longing for a pony & just got to ride loads of unsuitable ponies as parents wouldn't pay out for riding lessons.Actually didn't even get a hat until I'd been unconsious for three days at eleven having been thrown by a four year old TB & knocked out :biggrin:

bought our girls a pony when C was 6 and T was 3, we had him for a few years
but sold him on when we moved as didn't have the facilities to keep.
C began riding again at 11 and had a LVTB pony at her Uncles Livery yard and we bought Tess a few years later for T, we bought the Loan pony, C backed him at 13 with the help of her step sister but we tragically lost him, he had an allergic reaction and subsequent heart attach following an injection at 6, we just kept Tess then and still have her, soon added to though.
T don't ride much anymore but the grandchildren do and Emm takes after her Aunty C , Thomas likes the idea but gets bored after a few go rounds.

We had ponies on the premises when mine was born, so he's always had a pony to sit on. But he's not bothered. He rode with me in Iceland, he grooms for me at shows and that's it nowadays

Out of my 5 kids only one has a pony of their own. The others have access and have done since small but arn't really that interested. They are 13, 7,6 and 4. I have a 10yr old though who does have his own. His first he got when he was 8.5 (actually got for his sister who was nearly 5) she was a 12.2hh welsh x spotted who was put to sleep due to health last week. He now has his second pony who is 13hh welsh x Arab.

Loving reading this thread!
I desperately wanted a pony all my life but parents couldn't afford it and i grew up riding anything I possibly could. This generally involved galloping the countryside at speed and jumping anything in sight. Amazing to think that now!

When I was 38 I finally bought my horse (at Christmas time) and told everyone I'd given up asking Santa. I don't care if I never have another present again - he is all I ever wanted.

My daughters are now 14 and 18. I am cringing when I tell you that I actually avoided them getting intor horses and waited until they were older before buying Prince. When I look back now, I wish I had known that it was much more affordable than I ever imagined (parents brainwashed me that only rich people could own horses!!). The teenage girls around the yard are dedicated, focused and have a purpose other than drinking and partying. I so wish I had got my eldest into ponies now!

My youngest is 14 and has gone pony MAD since I got Prince. So I didn't manage to bypass that age completely for her then! She has been sharing since April and just done her first comp.... and she has no idea that she wlll be getting her very own first pony for Christmas! :dance::dance::dance::dance:

Shhhhhhhhhh!

newrider.com