how old were you when you bought your first horse?

louise1

Nov 4, 2006
Farnborough, Hants
i want to buy a horse but not for a couple of years yet (got to get a family holiday to florida out the way first!!!) So that will make me about 41 (ish) - is this a sane age to buy your first horse ever? :D

I desperately wanted my parents to buy me a pony but they got divorced instead!! :p My first pony was bought by myself, aged 18, with a bank loan!!! :eek: Sold him at 21 to buy a house with my fiancee and then had a "gap year" - which was actually 21 years long.....;)

Bought my gorgeous irish cob mare in November 2005, having come back into riding the previous July... at the age of 42!

So the answer to your question is YES, it's a sane age... you will LOVE it, I promise.....

Oh I was a mere 31 when I got mine, although I had wanted one since the age of 5! On 2nd March I will have had him 5 years.

OH got his first horse at the age of 33, and had never sat on a horse until he was 30.

Better late than never :D

I was, and still am, 35 (not for long though). I desperately wanted my own pony as a child but my parents could not afford the upkeep of one so I had to make do with riding my friends ponies. Its only now that I could afford to buy Sam and keep him and not have to worry about being able to afford him. Im kinda glad I had to wait though, it makes me appreciate it all the more :)

Tried endless nagging of parents up till age 16 - "pleeeeeeease can I have a pony?". Got first job at 17, went to uni. at 29, got second job aged 39, went self-employed aged 41, got first horse aged 44 :) It was just a case of finally working the right hours, having the money and being willing to take on that kind of long term responsibility. Maybe I am a mature rider now :)

I'm famous for doing things in the wrong order... but so far, (only 4 months in) having the horse has been a great decision (if a bit up and down in terms of horse health :rolleyes: ).

when did you gt yr first horse

the first real one when i was 45 - but obviously had huge collection of imaginary & invisible ones - there is a difference- from age 5 onwards & when in juniour schools me & my friend joanne used to ride our ponies to school - the good thing about invisible ponies is that you can tie them to school railing & they dont mind lol:) :) :) obviously imaginary ones are less well behaved

I was 20, I too nagged my parents endlessly but didn't get my own until I received £1000 compensation for getting knocked off my moped. My first horse was Merlin, a 15HH CB X.

I had him for 12yrs but he went on loan for the last couple while I had kids. So, I had a break of about 5yrs or so before getting TC in 2005.

First loaned aged 9 or 10, after a few years of riding other peoples' and two years working at a school in every available spare moment.

Bought my own with my own cash at 23 or 24, not sure now.

28 which seems quite young compared to some. Seemed like an eternity though. I finally decided after taking a year off and worked in some stables in Spain. Was fed up of watching how some people dealt with their horses... came back to the UK and that was it... time for me to buy a horse!

Bought half of him on a credit card as well as tack etc! ah well, worth it!!!

Again, another unfortunate being who wasn't allowed one as a kid. Dad was probably right.. I had no real sense of responsibility so he would have ended up doing quite a lot of stuff... ((god, I hate saying that!))

I bought my first pony when I was 21. My mum bought her first horse when she was 46! She says yes it's insane but go for it it will be the best thing you've ever done!! So there you go, that's coming straight from the horses mouth - so to speak! ;)

i was 46--had him 4 years in july:)

ted is the best thing i've EVER bought-without question

other half left after 23 years of marriage-but not before remortgaging house to pay off all his debts!!!

BUT when he said he was leaving i sneaked some money into a savings account (while my name was still on our bank details) and hung onto it for a while--

-he left me without enough money from sale of house to pay off mortgage!!

OH used to ring and pester me with tales of him and new ladyfriend - kept saying he'd leave her for me if i'd only take him back!!!!

and finally when he rang to tell me he was going on FOURTH foreign holiday in ! year and had bought a new car ! i decided enough was enough--

-i spent the 1200 i had secreted away on TED and 6 months later declared myself bankrupt! dropped the reamining debt back into his lap and rode off into the sunset:)

revenge is sweet

and ted is more faithful, loving and sweet natured than the OH ever was:)and i think he is better looking too:):):)

alls well that ends well

yay ali cat! having the patience of a saint (which you obviously have) is bound to pay dividends with a partner who will only try to please..... ya boo sucks to ex!

After years of "can I have a pony?" and receiving a "no" every time (despite having horsey parents), my mum said "yes" one day when I was 15 ish and I nearly fell over with shock! I then had totally unsuitable chestnut mare in her mid-twenties for about six months. That was Coral, and she was lovely but totally insane - if you cantered her once, she jogged forever until you got off. Walk and trot fine though, weirdly. She also was the worst traveller ever, banged about like crazy in the trailer to and from my first show with her, so I never took her to another one. After her I got Sandy on loan (palomino gelding), as his loanee was getting a horse of her own. Sandy was great - absolutely spot on, and he was my loan pony until I went to uni.

Now I'm 24 and have been horseless since I was 18. I've still not owned my own though. I've convinced OH that me getting a horse is ok - he's quite happy for me to have one (hooray!) as long as the finances work out ok. So first stop is me getting a proper job, and then I'll be scoping out the local livery yards to see if it is affordable. Failing that, I might have to resort to DIY and forcing myself to become a "morning person"... We shall see!

Apart from the pony my grandfather bought me when I was 10- and far to young and inexperienced, and a 'wild off the forest' New Forest I bought myself at around 28- which I only bought to save him from the meat man, kept for about 4 months and sold on a lot less wild, I bought my first PROPER horse aged 30- and I'm another one that put half the horse and ALL the tack and equiptment on a credit card:rolleyes:

Sold him and bought a 'totally unsuitable' (I could credit that quote, but there are so many folk who said it it'd take all day!) mare last year at the tender age of 34.

You're never too old to do something you're passionate about- Do it! Far better to regret doing something than regret NOT doing it I think:D

Erm well my mum bought Katey(1st horse!) but I was 7!!!!
And she was 14.2hh and I needed something about 11hh but Katey was kind and gentle so we bought her!!!

newrider.com