How old is too old?

lydia.huizenga

Aug 25, 2021
Hi y'all! I just joined, not even thirty seconds ago. I'm 15 and I have a newfound love of barrel racing. I envision myself riding down into an arena with adrenaline coursing through me. It would be so much fun. Only problem is, one) I don't have a horse, and two) my grandma brings me down completely. She tells me that I should have started at 5. It breaks my heart. Am I too old to start lessons? I've always loved horses and want to learn so badly.

Reactions: Horsey person23
Oooh, gosh no. You're never too old to learn to ride - certainly not at 15! I had my early experiences of riding when I was 15 but didn't ride regularly until I was 20 and didn't have my first lesson til I was 25. I've had a super fun career as a riding groom over the last 15 years and never felt like I was disadvantaged by not riding as a child. Starting young doesn't mean you'll become a great rider and starting older doesn't mean you won't.

Not at all!!! I had lots to do with horses, when I could, as a child, but didn't start riding seriously and regularly until I was 30! By the time I was 35 I had my first horse, and was fulfilling my dream of entering shows to jump.

i know a lady who was riding side saddle age 78 and hunting side saddle. You are a mere babe, you will bounce unlike me who is still riding age 66

I started riding twice a week after I retired aged 62 and still ride once a week. I am 82. I never jumped. I hack and I like dresage. But I went to an RS where another woman rider who began over 60 jumped.

Yes i know but the person has been replying to lots of old threads, particularly today. Says they are 13 and an instructor. Need i say anymore.

Reactions: carthorse
I agree but I am also wary of photos being taken and used as their own horse. A request for a photo on an old thread of a third party’s horse?

@chunky monkey thank you! I will be keeping a close eye on this member as, to me, she doesn't ring true. I hope it's only a young teenager trying to big themselves up and looking silly because of it.

newrider.com