How often does everyone ride?

Travis's Mum

May 5, 2005
How often do you ride? Iv just bought my mare 2wks now and started lunging&ridding her last Wednesday. I plan to ride 5mornings a week (while kiddies are at school) and weather permitting. Does this seem enough. My OH works a Sunday so at weekends I have spent additional time grooming and walking in hand as the School is soo busy and we're getting to know each other.

I ride as often as I want to - sometimes that 3 times a week sometimes 6. I always bear in mind how fit he is when I take him out so he's not stood around for a week and then being asked to flee all over the countryside. Also he is 13 so he's not a youngster that needs to be kept in work - he's the same whether he was last ridden a fortnight ago or yesterday.

There is a certain amount of pressure from others to ride 5 or 6 times a week every week but I keep the horse as a pleasure not as a duty!

My intention is to ride 5 days a week, but in reality between work/the weather/etc getting in the way it usually ends up being 3 or 4. During the winter, that will usually be 3 schooling sessions and one hack, or 2 schooling and 2 hacks. Summer is a bit better and try to get in 2 schooling and 2 hacks or maybe, if I'm really good, 3 hacks!

I ride amba or at least exercise her in some way three times a week and ride other horses 3 times and lunge another horse

I work away from home 2 nights a week so the other 5 I try and exercise the beast, usually ride for 45 mins-1 hour 4 nights a week and lungeing 1 night.

I don't manage in every week though, for example on Friday I dragged myself up to the yard in the freezing weather we've been having recently, tack in hand.. only to see Alps half asleep so snug in his stable I didn't have the heart to ride :D

I tend to ride more in winter than summer as they are coming in earlier in the evenings so I like them to get out and stretch their legs rather than being stood in.. in summer if I'm busy I can be inclined to just leave them out in the field to amuse themselves.

Well, I'm not doing anything right now but riding, except for a Grade 12 Biology course by correspondence. There's a certain number of riding and work hours I need to get into college so I'm focussed on getting that.

I ride four days a week, five if RI is home on Saturdays, and I'm riding two different horses, Topaz gets ridden two days a week (and three by her other owners) and Coquette gets ridden four days a week.

Needless to say, I'm very tired when I'm done...;)

I ride every Sunday. If I can ride more I will but since I'm at school I find it hard to fit in more lesson's. Also my riding teacher works in the evenings which makes it hard to book lesson's in with her.

Crystal should get at least 4 ridden sessions every week, but as she also gets turned out every day I can miss a day if something comes up. She has one day off during the week and we have a lungeing session once a week.

The vet at the moment has said I should increase the exercise levels slowly as she is carrying a little bit more weight than she should be, and it seems to be working as she is now a little more svetle than she was 3 weeks ago.

In term times I rode my old horse for at least an hour a day on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. He had a sharer who rode him for half an hour on Mondays and Fridays.
In holiday times (or when I couldnt be bothered with college :p) I rode him at least an hour a day, 5 or 6 days a week. On Mondays and Fridays his sharer would still ride him in the afternoons for half an hour too.

With my new horse, who I have had three weeks, I ride him half an hour a day, 6 days a week. I think he needs more :eek: because he's quite fit and will get bored easily.

When I had my old horse on Sundays / Wednesdays I would sometimes ride him, my mum's horse, and then either one or both of the two horses I excercised. No wonder Ive put on weight since being horseless!

I suppose how much you should ride depends on your horse's fitness. All the work I mentioned was schooling, first horse got out hacking maybe once a week or once a fortnight, and his schooling was fairly muscle building and hard work. New horse has it easy :p

xxx

In the summer I rode every day - sometimes twice, my pony was super fit and we had great fun, now I ride 4 or 5 times per week on my own pony but also ride several horses for other people 5 days a week

In the summer i ride everyday as fatty needs lots of excerisise but now the clocks have gone back and ive got college she's only getting ridden 3/4 times per week

erm...it really varies. Personally I probably ride at the very least 2-3 times a week - a lesson and I try to hack twice at least. Mum also tries (depends on work) to ride the same horse 1-2 times a week and I have a groundwork lesson once a week and try to do groundwork on my own once a week.

So at the very least Silver gets ridden twice a week with one session of groundwork and at the most I ride every day bar one (mum rides) which was mainly in the summer.

I'm not a good person for this because it varies so much that I can hardly find an average!

I ride Katey 3-4+ times a week depending on the weather.I jump Katey 2-3 times a week but on the days she doesn't jump if she is good i will normally put up a 1 foot crosspole and pop her over it sort of as a reward.

newrider.com