How Often Does A Horse Wee?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Any ideas?

Think cob must save the best till night time and can as a result can have a swamp stable in the morning!

Twice a day? Depending on diet and what drunk. If they poop roughly every two to three hours, they must surely have pattern for the pee.

You know you are stressed from mucking out when you look this up.
http://www.equisan.com.au/

Last edited:

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
Don't really know the answer, but if I were to guess I'd say 4 or 5 times in 24 hrs ?!? My boy is just the same... A right mess to muck out! I think he rarely pees in his field & saves it all for his lovely fresh bed in the evening... I now watch him for the first 5-10 mins & can often catch the first stable wee in a bucket (lol).

However, he'l be turned out 24/7 very shortly, so he'll have to learn to 'go' in the field!

clashnoir

May 19, 2010
Nr Edinburgh, Borders
I think they are all different.
My boy is rarely seen to pee in a field but has at least one overnight if stabled. Always in the same pplace so I make sure his bed is thicker there.
The mare must just squirtle all night as her bed needs a lot taken out.
Even the mini Shet seems to have at least 2-3 overnight.
I used to put straw in their shelter too but it became a toilet so they have to slum it now.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I know she is mega messy when in season, full muck out almost everyday. Last season was two weeks, thankfully she was able to go out and display that for few hours.
I think after nearly 3 months of her being in almost all the time I getting a bit wee tired. :wink:

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
I think it varies from horse to horse, just like people, but anything from 3 to 6 times in a 24hr period. I think if a horse only peed twice a day I'd be a bit worried. Some horses are much bigger drinkers than others.

I have mucked out hundreds of stables in my time (different horses) and in general mares are much wetter than geldings.... but I have known very dry mares and very wet geldings so there is no hard & fast rule on that!

On our yard the geldings live in the barn and the mares live in the outdoor stables. The boxes are all the same size and they're on the same bedding (wood pellets with rubber matting) but the mares' stables take considerably longer to muck out than the geldings!

liz_scarlet

Jun 6, 2011
Roslin
never really thought about it, see Scarlet pee at least once a day, as soon as she gets in her stable :redcarded: ....don't think she likes doing it in the field.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
This morning she was fairly dry, yesterday I actually sank!

Roll on when she gets more turnout.:wink:

Hum-can you train them to wee on cue, as in, when you lead in.

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Someone on here - sos can't remember name - used to live in Hong Kong and there the horses were trained to wee into a bucket when the handler whistled. I remember because she put up a very funny post about trying to do it when she came over to the UK and everyone thought she was crackers!

Raf has no hang-ups about peeing at all, if he wants one he'll stop and have one, whether in the school, out hacking, being led to the field etc. Raf's wees are fairly short, clear and not very smelly. Jack on the other hand does his best to hang on until he gets back in his stable, so we try to have a bucket handy, although he's expert at waiting until you've turned your back. His wees are immense and stink!

tiga

Oct 29, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex
Izzy wees a lot but then he is a hot horse and so drinks a lot. He had to wee three times today when we were at cross country. He usually will wee 2 or 3 times on a long hack - but that is partly to try to grab a mouthful of grass.

I would think that 4-6 times would be normal.

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Someone on here - sos can't remember name - used to live in Hong Kong and there the horses were trained to wee into a bucket when the handler whistled. I remember because she put up a very funny post about trying to do it when she came over to the UK and everyone thought she was crackers!

That was Chinarider I believe!

tubby

Sep 30, 2003
Cheshire
Bodshi I did try putting a skip with shavings in under my boy as he began to wee.Talk about splash. My lower half was liberally splattered with horse pee :eek:.
Think on the whole I prefer to dig out the wet in the morning at least I don't stink , though must admit my boy tends to pee olympic standard & it's the first thing he does when he comes in.

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Apparently it's quite easy to train them to go on command, but it does take a lot of time, because you have to wait for them to go and then say the command so that they associate.

Exactly the same as with dogs. Both my bitches respond to "Have a wee," and do!

Vicki100

Jun 12, 2009
West Mids
I hate the smell of horse wee, gives me a head ache when im mucking out in the morning :cold:

Brandy will try his hardest not to wee it seems and will quite often just go for a wee before coming in and then again when we let him out. But somtimes he does one tiny wee in the night.

Finn is just a messy bugger and wee's all over the place. I think he does like 5/6 wee's in the night because the floor is just soaked :redcarded:

Buff doesnt seem to do too many wee's so far....and they dont smell as bad as the boys do! :giggle:

Nookster

Oct 21, 2002
i know mine go at min 2 times a day as my boy always goes a pee waiting on his brekky and dinner coming:giggle:

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
VickI100, an in season mare does stink. Well one that is a strumpet :smile:

I guess I can't moan she only does everything in one corner, it just happens to be the corner she also sleeps! So cue flat :poop:

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Bodshi I did try putting a skip with shavings in under my boy as he began to wee.Talk about splash. My lower half was liberally splattered with horse pee :eek:.

OOooer, not good! If it makes you feel any better Rafi pooed on my head today when I was picking out one of his back feet, I felt something soft brush the side of my face ...