How often do you school your horse?

Btc

Sep 24, 2021
My 8yr old Welsh D has had 2 weeks off and is returned to being a nappy monster in the school.
Another livery was watching me ride yesterday and said to me I should hack out more than school in the manage as this is a sign he is board..!
My question is, how often do you school your horse?
In a normal week I’ll school on the flat twice, one day jump and another day go on a hack.
Sessions are currently about 35 mins in the school.
It’s not the first time she’s said it so I really wanted to know if I’m doing it wrong!! I’m sure I’m not…but she’s making me doubt myself!

I bought my horse to hack, because that's what I like to do. He had spent the majority of his life in the school, I think, before I got him.

We work 3 or 4 times a week, all hacking. I have one lesson every 2 weeks and that is in the school. It's as much for me as it is for him! He is different in the school, much more sensitive and opinionated than he is out hacking. I am considering doing 1 more school session every two weeks on my own and mixing it up a bit - doing some liberty work perhaps, or lunging him over small jumps, something he will enjoy. I don't want him to dislike schooling.

Erm, it really does depend on your definition of schooling.
I don't have access to a school, so I school on my chosen spots.
I actually prefer to do my schooling on the lunge/ long rein to work on her and my riding is for fun, checking me.

What are you doing in the school interests me over the time spent in it.
Two half hour sessions in walk with a bit of trot might mean they are not fit enough for jumping.

There's no wrong or right amount to school, but I would say if he's playing up you've either got a horse that's hurting somewhere or is bored. Why has he had two weeks off, was there a problem? Some horses just don't like schoolwork and if that's the case you would be better hacking more and sneaking in your schooling that way, or going for a hack then popping in the school for ten minutes of upbeat interesting schooling when you get back. if he's uncomfortable somewhere then schooling in a school is going to be hard for him, and while it's a sweeping generalisation Welsh Ds are generally good at making their feelings known!

My current lad was very green when I got him just over a year ago. I've done very little school work with him, instead working on building his trust, confidence and strength out hacking. He's turned into a light responsive ride who's a pleasure to hack, to an extent that I'm now unwilling to risk messing him up with "proper" schooling!

newrider.com