How often do you disinfect your stable?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I have some extra free time next weekend so i thought that I would disinfect Bens stable. I have never done this before and wondered if anyone can give any advice on which products to use and how often this should be done.

Virkon. We aim to do it once a year however because of our bedding system it's a big pain in the behind!

I use Jays fluid, minimum amount because it is strong. My stable needs doing now. So i will probably do this coming weekend. All old bedding will have been removed by then.
How often, that depends because she is cob so can get feather mites. So it is something i like to keep on top off. twice a year it will get a real good clean. Including walls, door etc.

I remove the matts and do a full wash once a year in the summer. I remove all the bedding April so it is just the matts down and the bedding does not go back in until Nov/Dec time before he comes in for winter.

BUT every saturday during winter I spray the floor with jays fluid that I pre mix and scrub the matting while the bed is banked up. I do bank my bed every day so the matts dry out in the winter but saturdays it gets a good scrub.

I don't, both stables drain really well and I sluice them down with the contents of the water bucket daily in Tess's case, keeps everything nice. Whenever I've lifted the mats in either stable there's been nothing to speak of underneath them.

I have never done mine! I don't like the smell of most disinfectants - no excuse I know! Tbh, I have never thought much about it - I tend to have a mahoosive dust and sweep out once in a blue moon.

I have a bit of OCD whehn it comes to my horses stable, i like the bed done a certain way etc. Plus she now has mats, but when we moved the stable was quite disgusting so i gave the mats and the floor a good clean, but will be doing it every summer.

I don't that often as we have rubber mats down but they are sealed with silicone so it really is a waterpoof floor, all the stable floors are on a very slight angle to allow any water in there to drain away freely, I only have about 1 to 1 & 1/2 bales in there to make a small bank and absorb the urine. When I do disenfect it I use Green Gloop as a lot of other disenfectants like Jays and other ones are really bad for the environment, I try to do what I can environmentally.

My horse doesn't live in each day, if he did then I would probably disenfect each spring after the winter when he'd be in more.

Jayes and then spray with virkon once dry - once a year for us - on hols next week guess what I'm doing........ thanks for reminding me:frown:

Mine all live out now but if and when they are kept in, the whole bedding comes out once a week and the concrete floor sluiced down with Jeyes fluid and left to dry before replacing bedding. About once a year, usually late winter/early spring when lice are more likely, I wash down and spray all the walls with Virkon E.

I must be a terrible slut then, because I never disinfect!!!

Oops, wanders off to have a small think about poor Tobes unhygenic living conditions.:redcarded:

I sluiced out the stable with Jeyes Fluid after Kelly died (and soaked buckets and haynets in Milton fluid), and again the week before Sham arrived, but that was only done as a precaution as we're not 100% certain why Kelly got ill and died. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have used disinfectant at all.

I believe that a stable should be a nice place to be, so should smell of the occupant, not pine and bleach!

Though I must admit I absolutely love the smell of Jeyes Fluid...

newrider.com