How odd is this?

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
dolly rugless.jpg As most of you probably know Dolly is a severe sweet itch sufferer and has got worse this past couple of years. So rugs all winter because we get the midges here even on damp and cold winter days, straight into sweet itch rugs as soon as its warm enough - also spreading gunk and fly spray on every single bit of her that isnt covered - still her life is pretty miserable.

Tried feeding all the usual stuff over the years with less and less success, until I read something about Pharma Minsal so figured it worth a try after speaking to the lady who sells it. so for the past 2 months she has been on 30g of MInsal and upped to 60g about a week ago as the midges became more of a nuisance for her and she was getting very distressed, and vet didnt want her to have her steroid jab in case we need to do further tests that steroids would interfere with. I cant believe this past two days I have been able to remove her SI rug for the whole day from about 9 in the morning until about 5 in the evening - obviously still plastered in the Sweet Relief and Phaser fly gel. - Midges are definitely about as confirmed by my donkeys swishing tails and stamping and them getting in my hair too!

Is it the Minsal - or is it a knock on effect from everything else she has been fed/injected/ lately? I actually just stood and watched her for ages, enjoying how peaceful and 'normal' she looked contentedly grazing without any sweaty old rugs on and no sign of distress whatsoever! Will update as the summer goes on to see if the miracle continues!:eek::D A very rare picture of her out in the field rugless! Delighted for her

Last edited:
Dolly is like a handsome, elegant Edwardian lady with a big nose and a big bottom who everyone calls "classical". I hope her respite from the midges lasts and lasts!

How strange you should say that Jane - myself and Mr C were just saying this evening what a very old fashioned type of horse she is - used to see many very much like her in my childhood but this style of breeding is no longer popular sadly. A good old Irish cob/hunter type - the sort of horse the doctor used to come galloping into M'Ladys courtyard on an emergency call out lol! :D

That's brilliant, I'm interested to go have a nosey at it, Jess doesn't have SI but she is driven crazy by the bugs and comes up in huge welts if left unrugged and I hate having to rug virtually year round but tend not to believe in a lot of these things so don't try them.

Reactions: Cortrasna
That's great. Dolly is really lovely. Yes she is an old fashioned useful type with a good set of shoulders, strong hind quarters and wise head and eye. She reminds me of a Lottie but a little chunkier. Keep the Dolly photos coming :)

Reactions: Cortrasna
View attachment 93253 As most of you probably know Dolly is a severe sweet itch sufferer and has got worse this past couple of years. So rugs all winter because we get the midges here even on damp and cold winter days, straight into sweet itch rugs as soon as its warm enough - also spreading gunk and fly spray on every single bit of her that isnt covered - still her life is pretty miserable.

Tried feeding all the usual stuff over the years with less and less success, until I read something about Pharma Minsal so figured it worth a try after speaking to the lady who sells it. so for the past 2 months she has been on 30g of MInsal and upped to 60g about a week ago as the midges became more of a nuisance for her and she was getting very distressed, and vet didnt want her to have her steroid jab in case we need to do further tests that steroids would interfere with. I cant believe this past two days I have been able to remove her SI rug for the whole day from about 9 in the morning until about 5 in the evening - obviously still plastered in the Sweet Relief and Phaser fly gel. - Midges are definitely about as confirmed by my donkeys swishing tails and stamping and them getting in my hair too!

Is it the Minsal - or is it a knock on effect from everything else she has been fed/injected/ lately? I actually just stood and watched her for ages, enjoying how peaceful and 'normal' she looked contentedly grazing without any sweaty old rugs on and no sign of distress whatsoever! Will update as the summer goes on to see if the miracle continues!:eek::D A very rare picture of her out in the field rugless! Delighted for her

Can you tell me we’re I can read up and buy this I tried an internet search but failed

newrider.com