How NOT to lunge your horse - great laugh for spectators though!

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
:eek: Oh dear me - thank heavens son couldnt be bothered to come down the field and video me lunging JJ as I asked - wanted to do something with the ned but knackered after a day gardening so couldnt be bothered with all the tacking up and stuff.

So....the lovely young man comes in all chilled and lazy in the heat...wont need any more than a headcollar on him will I cos he is such a good boy to lunge for his Mummy....ahem:rolleyes:

Everything going tremendously well for first 10 minutes....started to get a bit stroppy cos of all the horse flies that descended on him once he started to perspire gently across his rippling muscles, long mane and tail blowing in the wind...such a picture of horsey bliss. Until...one of the pesky flies managed to latch on and give him a real nip, pretty certain from later inspection twas on his rather delicate manly bits!:eek:

In sheer terror of the only remaining portion of his bits that humans have allowed him to keep being bitten off altogether - he takes off. A proper take off, fast canter to start with, silly old biddy hanging on for grim death trying to run after him shouting obscenties like an old fish wife:eek: Managed about 50 yards until the canter turned rapidly into a bucking farting gallop. Thought this would be a good point to let go, could already feel the burns on my hands (no gloves, tut tut!)

So as he turned to leap out back into the yard, yours truly is heading in the opposite direction, dropped the lunge....and this is the funniest bit - the impulsion of dropping the taught lunge whilst running along after him flung me forward straight into the air:eek: Realised that I would be landing flat on my face at great speed so attempted to flap my arms up and down like a hairy old fairy to 'break' my momentum!:D Landed on my feet, flapped on for a further couple of yards with the old chicken wings going hell for leather and finally came to rest in a crumpled heap just a foot or so short of the electric fence!

I could hardly walk back out to the yard to check him for laughing, every bit of me ached but twas soooo funny, what a pity son didnt come and video it eh? Could have earned a couple of bob on You've been Framed!:p

Did take him back in and do another 5 minutes in case he decides that this is a very amusing way to end lunging lessons.

The worst part is - just spent £120 getting some (no longer available) Barricade sent over to help with the flys for them all - only did them from head to toe yesterday with it so that is obvioulsy a total waste of money isnt it?:rolleyes:

Love it - sounds hilarious! Aside from the burns on the hands and bitten manly bits! :)

Poor you though, but the imagine of flapping arms was definitely the highlight for me! :p

Oh had to laugh, what it would be to be a fly on the gate post !!

We had a moment the other day in the lunge pen, as we only get 12lb of hay a day and there is no grass I thought Id try her on haylage - BIG mistake and she took off bucking and cantering around, I swear she was aiming for me so I bailed.

We then had a little conversation at the gate and tried again, 2nd time around I gave up. Looney old c!w at 23 you would have thought she's have stopped it :eek:

Bloody horse-flies!!!! Yes we had an altercation today and only when TWO BIT ME did I realise what a hero he was being against them.

p.s. what IS effective, I mean I've got DEET which is supposedly the strongest repellant - not at all!

Bloody horse-flies!!!! Yes we had an altercation today and only when TWO BIT ME did I realise what a hero he was being against them.

p.s. what IS effective, I mean I've got DEET which is supposedly the strongest repellant - not at all!

Well I researched Barricade - thought it sounded absolutely bound to work so despite the price and having to track somewhere that still had some in stock -I got it - useless as everything else Ive tried incuding Deet!:mad:

Damn horseflies, i`ve not found anything that stops them tbh ... i was thinking of getting one of those Dr DeMeulenkamp rugs to see if that wouldn help.

Cortrasna, i lol`d so much picturing the scene as i read your post .... you write and describe it so well ... thankyou for the giggle ;)

Now all I want you to do Cortrasna is get your son and the camera down there and do it all again! I know I should be more respectful of your dignity, not to mention JJ's bits, but this is something I would love to have seen:)

This made me laugh so much, it would have definately been the easiest £250 you'd ever made. :D

It also reminded me of a similiar experience whilst walking my rather elderly lab down the beach on one of those extendable lead thingy's, my OH had walked a little further down the beach when whoosh.... elderly labby took off after his dad. Now in my head I thought when he gets to the end of this extendable lead thingy I really should let go and let him get to his dad, however my hand didn't respond and I flew into the air, and in a horizontal dive landed face down in the sand and to add insult to injury was dragged down the beach until the yellow mutt reached his dad! Needless to say I couldn't get up for laughing, my OH couldn't stand properly for laughing, in fact the entire beach couldn't stop laughing!!! Oh happy days :D

Glad you survived to tell the tale!

I agree Barricade is rubbish, wasted my cash on it, now binned :mad:

Best thing I have found by FAR is Ruggle-it which is an all natural mix with lots of smelly neem oil. Really deters the flies better than anything else so may be worth a go? :)

icon_rofl.gif

Glad to hear you're okay after your escapades!

newrider.com