How much weight

mummymoomoo

Jan 24, 2008
I have a mini shetland, he's 32" high. My daughter rides him but he is also broken to harness and I have been given the use of a little trap. Can anyone tell me how much weight he can pull and over what distance?

Thanks
moo

Horses can pull alot more weight than they can carry (imagine pulling a cart with 2 people in and then giving the same 2 people a piggy back at the same time :p) so I would say probably a good 25stone easy.

As for how far all depends on the fitness, and what they are towing obviously :p and at what speed. I fit horse could probs go for a 2hour drive with some trot without any issues.

At 32" he isn't going to have the pulling power of a larger Shetland, I would say two light adults will be no problem if he is fit and has a light vehicle that is well balanced, otherwise one adult. My 39" ponies can manage the 25st (and a bit more)suggested above but struggle uphill if they are not fit.

My Shetland pair, when very very fit, could do a 25 mile drive in an afternoon, all at trot with a 1/2hr break in the middle (obviously with a bit of walk to cool down and warm up before and after the break). That was with 2 light adults up.

When they were fit their standard drive was 14 miles all in trot apart from the first and last few min and steep downhills. We usually did two of these on a weekend, but they were VERY fit!

newrider.com