How much weight do you think this little one can carry?

naughty_noo_noo

Oct 31, 2006
glasgow
I love looking through these threads, so thought id put up one of my own about my pony. Just out of interest how much weight do you think he could carry easily?

Twiglet is 5 years old and standing at 13.1hh tall

thanxs

Attachments

• DSC00876 (Medium).jpg
    DSC00876 (Medium).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 156
  • twigg twigg.jpg
    twigg twigg.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00850 (Medium).jpg
    DSC00850 (Medium).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 129
He's a lovely looking fella, are the pictures recent? Just asking as if the last one is right then he may need a little more weight, he looks a little ribby (hope you don't mind my saying).
I have ridden cobs in the past and they are great armchairs and very strong! :)

Am not great at weight carrying advice though so won't guestimate, it will be over the general rule of thumb of a stone a hand I would guess though. :)

Those pic's where took back in the spring when i first got him, he was very weedy looking when i first got him, but he has filled out almost double the size :D i will get more pic's tomorrow so you can see how much he has changed,

Thenxs for the adive Wally, i thought it would probably be about that weight but wasn't totally sure :D

I know nothing about height to weight ratio, but i did read in a recent horse magazine that the maximum weight should be no more than 20% of the horses body weight. Luckily when i'd remembered my maths from a long, i realised i was ok for Etta :confused:

I took these pic's today, Can you see the difference??? He has put on loads of weight since the beginning of the year! I used to ride him in a medium width saddle, he is now creeping into me friends wide width one LOL

And i know, he needs a bath he's bogging :p

Attachments

• DSC01826 (Medium).jpg
    DSC01826 (Medium).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC01825 (Medium).jpg
    DSC01825 (Medium).jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC01818 (Medium).jpg
    DSC01818 (Medium).jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC01817 (Medium).jpg
    DSC01817 (Medium).jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 106
He looks a sturdy little fellow, I'd not worry about 12 stone of balanced rider on him.

Aww thank you everybody for the lovely comments! :D He is pretty sturdy and filling out nicely! Can't wait till he's a bit fitter, would love to do some jumping or cross country on him! That would be fun :) :)

Aww thank-you kittycat :D xxx

Here's a wee pic of me riding him the other day - this was the day he galloped off with me up a hill and we bet my friend on her highland pony! So i think he can carry me easily heehee :D and he was still up for more !!!

But im still a wee bit worried that i look huge on him :eek:

Attachments

• DSC01889 (Medium).jpg
    DSC01889 (Medium).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 104
Aww thank-you kittycat :D xxx

Here's a wee pic of me riding him the other day - this was the day he galloped off with me up a hill and we bet my friend on her highland pony! So i think he can carry me easily heehee :D and he was still up for more !!!

But im still a wee bit worried that i look huge on him :eek:

ahhh certainly dont look huge on him!!! :D

Aww thank-you everyone for the friendly comments :D :D

Ive got another wee pic of me on twiggy from todays hack :)

It was cold and we got all wrapped up ! :D

Attachments

• DSC01897 (Medium).jpg
    DSC01897 (Medium).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 76
newrider.com