How much weight could this beast carry and what breed is he?

K

Kate&TheHerd

How much weight could this beast carry and what breed is he?

I may get on him! Not sure what will happen took him for a walk today in hand and he is quite strong and if he wants to go somewhere he will! Any advice on getting on/riding/trying to get on??! Not been ridden for at least 2 or 3 years! He was 'apparently' broken in!

Photo-1447.jpg

100_4985.jpg

He is lush!

:eek: omg how cute does h wanna be lol :D

er i would say no more than 12....maybe i am wrong...infact i am sure i am! perhaps he 'could' carry 14 stone?

is he some sort of exmoor pony?

as for weight he can carry
dontknow.gif

i worry about whether my pony's can carry me but they are fine and bigger than that little guy

Thank you! I brushed his mane today, its weird it just sort of goes upwards! Heres a side profile shot!

100_4979.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool :cool: is that a freezemark? Whats his story - definitely looks like exmoor to me, you should be able to trace his breeding through his freezemark I'm sure?

I'd be tempted to hop on bareback first time, he's so small.

I thought about going bare back, will have owner (well the man who looks after the horses/ponies and gets given them!) with me to help! Hopefully having a go on Friday!

Freezemark is C3 something, cant remember it all, can check. I think owner said someone saw the freezemark and thought he was Exmoor cross i think, not sure, but I have no idea

Last edited by a moderator:
crikey, he can definatly take your weight! he's beautiful by the way, but I am sure you know that!

Jealous about where you are... grazing the horse with a view of the sea????? madness!

Anyway, I would start to check by leaning then lying over his back, then taking your weight off your feet and seeing how he deals with it. If fine, then slowly start from lean and get on... with a hat of course, just in case!!

How lush! he really is a cuddly bear and I love him!

Oh thats ok! I am lucky, its not my land but I used to keep my horse there so friendly with man who looks after the horses. There are loads there that always need stuff doing! I thought it would be really fun to ride him! see here for me taking mouse for a walk today and more lovely pictures:

http://www.newrider.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=107872

Anyway, I would start to check by leaning then lying over his back, then taking your weight off your feet and seeing how he deals with it. If fine, then slowly start from lean and get on... with a hat of course, just in case!!

How lush! he really is a cuddly bear and I love him!

Thank you for that advice, I dont really know what I am doing with like before I get on, have no idea. We dont know if he is broken in but thats good advice. Any other advice of what I should do/expect greatly appreciated!

Yes he is lush! I think I love him, ahhhhh :D

I'm wondering if he is an Exmoor X Shetland. :confused:

He really is a stunner and looks up to carrying about 11 1/2 stone ish???

I love the punk hairdo. Maybe get him shaved and tattooed to complete the look :D I'm dead jealous as I have taken a real shine to him. Have fun 'cause he looks like he has pots of character ;)

How tall is he?

He is very overweight, which can give the impression that he'd carry more weigth than he's truly capable of. He looks like he has decent bone, and he's fairly well put together - but please don't be fooled by the excess fat he has, Under that scary crest and rather well-padded body there is a much slimmer looking pony hiding...

How tall is he?

He is very overweight, which can give the impression that he'd carry more weigth than he's truly capable of. He looks like he has decent bone, and he's fairly well put together - but please don't be fooled by the excess fat he has, Under that scary crest and rather well-padded body there is a much slimmer looking pony hiding...

:D you are rather foward aren't you!! i have noticed that :rolleyes: bless him you give him a complex :D

:D you are rather foward aren't you!!

Am I? :confused: Sorry!

Having a field full of fat ponies and spending my nights worrying about laminitis must be getting to me!

bless him you give him a complex :D

Aw! I hope not - he is a lovey pony, really nicely made. It is just the weight that worries me, not just because people tend to misread it as chunk and substance, but also with grass coming through.. :eek:

I'm sure you have it well in hand anyway. :)

Give him a cuddle from me :D

taking away the weight, you still can ride him. He has good strong legs and good bone and seeing a photo of you, he will be fine.

Oh and have reread what I wrote re getting on.. should add that you should do those actions over at least a couple of weeks to make sure that the day you try isn't just a 'good day' and then you get on and he goes ape. Keep on trying leaning on the back over a few days and then escalate to taking weight off your feet. Just to be sure.

Once you start riding the weight should come off. What sort of fields are they in and what feed do they get? looked at your link and yes, in that piccy he does look very very overweight.. it's difficult to guage from camera angles.

Take things slowly and you won't just get a pony you can ride, but one who trusts you and you will get a far better experience from the whole thing!

Enjoy! You have the whole summer with what looks like 3 or 4 ponies to ride. Heaven!!

Thank you for the advice. I thought he is overweight. They just live in a herd in the field and live out all the time. Not sure what they get fed but its once a day. The bloke Quention, who looks after them does a really good job but he has 3 horses that he regulary rides and when I am at uni thats him doing it on his own!

So i thought I would lend a hand, I dont mind you saying he is overwight all he does is sit in a field so I can image. He is not mine, but going to help anyway. Is it worth starting to try lunging him? He would get more exercise than me walking him. If so how would I start? I know how to lunge, but only with something that already knows how too.

not sure how tall I will check.

newrider.com