how much weight can she carry?

paris123

Jan 3, 2011
So every now and then i have a little panic about whether i should be riding my mare at my weight.....

At the moment she's lost a little fitness and that makes me worry even more as she gets out of breath quicker and i worry im hurting her!!

She's a 13/13'1 welsh X with approx 6.5inchs of cannon bone and is also quite short backed.

Doing the sum of adding all ponys weight and rider/tack etc diving by cannon and halving i get 65, which is well within the limit BUT i know this isn't an accurate method.

Basically i know she can cope fine with a bit of short happy hacking with me but should i be jumping her 2ft6 and doing intense schooling and long hacks???

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
If she isn't as fit as she should be and is getting out of breath quickly, then no, I wouldn't be doing intense schooling and long hacks. You need to build up her exercise slowly and give her time to regain her fitness before you push her too hard. Until she's coping well with the more gentle exercise sessions I wouldn't be asking too much of her for now.

It's not really got that much to do with your weight IMO :) You don't say how heavy you are but I remember seeing pics of you on your pony and thinking you looked fine on her.

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I think that you have to go with your gut instinct and how you feel she is going. If she is really tired, getting out of breath and generally not going very well, then yes you could be doing too much with her. If you are worried, I would get a good RI to give you an unbaised opinion.

paris123

Jan 3, 2011
Sorry my wording was wrong(i'm terrible at writing!! ;) ), i'm obviously not doing intense school and long hacks while she is this unfit, and she's only become this unfit in the past 6-8 weeks and was at a decent level of fitness before then.

We are building back up slowly.

I weigh anywhere between 7stone 12 and 8 stone 5 depending on what time of day it is and how lazy or active i've been that week.

So to rephrase, when up to decent level of fitness is it wrong to expect her to jump 2ft 6 courses with me and go for 2 or 3 hour hacks?

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
Sorry my wording was wrong(i'm terrible at writing!! ;) ), i'm obviously not doing intense school and long hacks while she is this unfit, and she's only become this unfit in the past 6-8 weeks and was at a decent level of fitness before then.

We are building back up slowly.

I weigh anywhere between 7stone 12 and 8 stone 5 depending on what time of day it is and how lazy or active i've been that week.

So to rephrase, when up to decent level of fitness is it wrong to expect her to jump 2ft 6 courses with me and go for 2 or 3 hour hacks?

no, you're fine at your weight to do pretty much whatever you want! My pony is a tiny bit taller then yours (13.2hh) and although lightweight has a bit more bone but i'm 10st 7 and we do a bit of everything.

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
i remember the piccies you posted a while ago :) looked great to me!! you probably weigh less than most teenagers these days and you are very light for a grownup! im just under 9 st (i think!) and my 12.3h slightly underweight exmoor carries me without any worries! so does my 12-odd-hh (really need to measure her again!) other exmoor :) at your weight a standard shetland would cart you around quite merrily!