How much weight can my horse take

ladyluxor

Apr 11, 2008
norfolk
I have recently advertised for a rider as i just dnt get time. i have had a few replys but one person has asked if her weight would be ok. Now to be honest i am no good with peoples weight. i weigh around 7 n half-8 stone.( haven't weighed myself for a lil while) I know she has had alot more on her but i really couldnt say wht sorta weight these riders were

Would you say 13 and a half stone would be to much????
& what would the ideal weight be?

i know it ordapends on how experienced the rider is, i.e the way they ride and carry themselves.

as you can see she is a stocky short legged tb.

stables023-1.jpg

1177.jpg

Last edited:
Normally a good indication is the measurement around the cannon bone the bigger the measurement the more weight the horse can carry it is not difinitive but a good indicator. I would say anything over 8 or 9 inch of bone would be ok for a 13 stone rider. This is only a rough guide type of horse length of back ability of rider all come into consideration. I am a 13.5 stone and ride a just over 15hh Irish cob it is not a heavy cob but it is built like a tank.

There's a TB at the riding school I got to who looks very much like your mare in stockyness terms and she's used for the heavier riders so I'd say 13 stone would be no problem at all.

Also I'm about 7/8 stones and I'm used to ride the teeny tiny light ponies at the riding school and they have no problems, so something like your mare really shouldn't have any problems carrying someone heavier.

My OH rides his TB who is much finer than your TB and he is 14 stone on the dot. They have never had a problem, Charlie rides like OH's not even there. In fact I think he rides better with OH on him than me who is alot lighter at 8stone.

I would definitely not put a novice of much over 11-12 stone on her - better riders ride lighter, so it depends how well balanced she is. Also whether she will fit in the saddle - if its a small seat size to suit you then she will probably squish it at the back - if she can get comfy in it you should probably use a rear riser for her - have a look at the saddle balance in walk trot and canter and try and lift the back the right amount. I like Mattes Correction pads as you use thin shims so can fine tune the amount of lift you need.

Thankyou everyone for your replies :smile:

I know this sounds silly but everyone varies in shape etc aswell dnt they, i mean like you could put 3 people who are the same weight in a line and they would prob all look very different.

SBLOOM. my saddle tht i had fitted to her is a 17.5, so im hoping this should be fine. i will defintly look into a rear riser.( i really dnt know much about these and what they do apart from what it says in the name.lol)

She said she is experienced as i have stated that she needs a sttrong, capable rider who wont let her play around so im thinking tht she will prob be well balanced

i haven't actually got bk to the lady yet as she did ask if her weight would be an issue, & tbh i really wasnt sure so now i have some replies i will get back to the lady.

Saddle size is not necessarily an issue depending where the lady carries her weight ..I am a similar weight but can fit in a 16.5/17 inch saddle. I have RS riders however who are much lighter and cannot fit in a 17.5.

Looking at your horse I personally would feel I was too heavy to ride regularly but it depends on the intensity of work the sharer will be doing. Interestingly one of my customers felt that I would be able to ride her older 15hh lightweight but I though myself too heavy and roped in my 'guinea pig' aka 10st daughter...she guessed my weight at 2stone less than it is!!!

I think you have to meet the person first...one persons 13.5 st can be another's 15st...I have scales in the office to try to get people to be real with the weight they give! I work on the assumption that the fact they are there and customers can use them if they want rather than insist on weighting them. I do know however of a couple of my riders who gave weights at least three stone lighter than they actually are!!

If they are a sympathetic rider and dont ride like a sack of spuds i dont see it being a problem! :smile:

My 14ish stone OH has had a go on my stocky 13.3h with no problems, although dont get me wrong they only had a little walk :wub:

Meant to say measured Perry today 8.3h nearing 9h :tongue:

I agree with EML in that many people with under state their weight. I read somewhere that the average woman will say that she is one stone lighter than her actual weight.

When my old loan horse was still working in the riding school, a large lady came to ride. She got on, and the yard owner came out and asked how much she weighed. She said 15 stone (which was the horses weight limit). The YO asked the lady to get off and get on the scales. She weighed in at 22 stone!!! How on earth she thought that no one would notice that she wasn't that big was amazing. She went home in tears which was sad, but really she should have thought of the horse first.

Saddle size is not necessarily an issue depending where the lady carries her weight ..I am a similar weight but can fit in a 16.5/17 inch saddle. I have RS riders however who are much lighter and cannot fit in a 17.5.

Looking at your horse I personally would feel I was too heavy to ride regularly but it depends on the intensity of work the sharer will be doing. Interestingly one of my customers felt that I would be able to ride her older 15hh lightweight but I though myself too heavy and roped in my 'guinea pig' aka 10st daughter...she guessed my weight at 2stone less than it is!!!

I think you have to meet the person first...one persons 13.5 st can be another's 15st...I have scales in the office to try to get people to be real with the weight they give! I work on the assumption that the fact they are there and customers can use them if they want rather than insist on weighting them. I do know however of a couple of my riders who gave weights at least three stone lighter than they actually are!!

soo the 13stone might turn out to be 20.:giggle:

Meant to say measured Perry today 8.3h nearing 9h :tongue:[/QUOTE]
aww bless him.. i really should measure rosie. do you know roughly what he will go to??rosies dad was a miniture at9hh & here mum was a stndard at 10.2hh i think it was. i think she will be around the 10hh mark, she is still very bum high like perry atm.

newrider.com