How much weight can my 14.2 Welshie carry?

Snowflake

Jan 15, 2003
Berkshire
Visit site
Sort of following on from a previous thread.

Unfortunately we have just sold my hubby's 16.1 ID, lovely fella as we can no longer afford to keep 2 at livery.

That leaves me with my 14.2. Welsh Section D who is pretty sturdy. Do you think my husband could ride her? He is (and I am too old to do metric) about 11 and a half stone and of slim build, about 5ft nine and a half.

He says he will feel a fool on such a small horse(!) but at a recent show I saw lots of men riding Welshies of her size in the Mountain and Moorland.

Any comments anyone - could he for instance hack her out for an hour or two? She is 11 and quite fit, never sick or sorry or lame.

Thanks

Snowflake

My OH weighs the same and rides our three year old Arab x so in answer to your question yes he can easily ride your 14.2 :) She could probably carry someone up to 12 stone and still be comfortable going for decent length and speed rides :)

No probs at all I should think. I ride my friend's who is 14hh and I'm 11 stone (also rode him when I was 12 1/2) with no worries at all.

My friend is approx 5'8 and she's won M and M and section D championships all over the country on him inc at the Royal Welsh! (Lucky girl!!)

I feel really sad about selling hubby's horse but financially (we live in the SE - everything expensive including livery yards) we could no longer afford 2 horses. He is very glum and presuming the vetting is OK his horse Tom a lovely IDx will depart for his new (but lovely) home the weekend after next. Could no longer afford to write our the cheque for £300-400 each month when neither of us has time to ride more than once/twice a week) - both work fulltime.

Although he is not a big person and will be quite able to ride my girl I think he feels that he will look foolish on her.

I don't think it is the weight thing, I think it is a "man" thing and he is used to a big horse. Does anyone know many MEN that ride 14.2s?

Ah well if he won't "lower" himself to ride her (!!) maybe he can find a small share in something on our college yard.

Why do horses cost so much:mad:

Snowflake

Awwww hon

If he misses riding that much, I am sure he will "lower" himself to riding your Welshie!

I haven't got any practical experience, but everything I've read suggests that a 14.2 should easily be able to carry him. Weren't they originally bred to carry farmers?

Know what you mean about blokes though!!! My OH has just started riding, and instantly fallen in love with the biggest horse at the yard (all 17hh of it!!) - despite the fact that he is only about 5'10 and would look just as at home on a 15hh :)

Don't let any Welsh Farmers hear him!

A good Welsh D of 14.2hh sould carry 14stone of good rider with little hassle.

Our Welsh's Dam was called "Snowflake" You are not the owner of Pentrepiod Snowflake are you?

yes, i know men who breed and show new forest ponies. the very successful mare fijal polonaise was shown by a man before she retired to be a broodmare, and YM's OH rides her NF stallion sometimes. my OH rides my 14hh NF x welsh too, and i am slowly persuading him to buy a forester in a few years...

In the winter I often have to ride my wifes welsh D 14.1 to keep her fit.

Yes it does feel funny after climbing down from my 16'2 but you get used to it. It is also a lot of fun and I have fallen off here but due to height can usually land on my feet.
I am 5'10" by the way.
If your OH feels silly riding something this size just point out i have to do it with the pony wearing a diamonte brow band:(

Will get a pic of me on her. Might help to convince

David H

Ha - well I am going to print off these replies and wave them under hubby's nose to convince him! Perhaps when Tom has gone, bless him (and hubs is very welcome to go and see him whenever) he will have a little ride on Bounty to see how she feels.

Bounty is a schoolmistress and Tom was only 6 and green - I bet he would notice the difference!!!!

Snowflake
:D

I am a man, 6'1" tall and 14 stone. my normal ride is a 16hh Bay Andalucian (Raza Espanol) gelding, but I also have 2 grey 14/14.2 hh Andalucians that I ride on a regular basis with no problems. In my experience, build and "stockiness" are more important than height in determining a horses weight carrying ability.

My husband finally "lowered" himself to ride Bounty my 14.2 Welsh Section D (a sturdy gal) yesterday and he rode her beautifully and really enjoyed himself! I was struck though by the fact that he didn't look at all "big" on her. He is of quite a slim build and 5ft 9 inches tall - really he looked fine!

I can see I am now going to have to fight him for her!!!

:D Snowflake

Really pleased this went well Snowflake.
I was going to tell you about my 6ft3in but lightweight husband on my old 15hh fella. Found him easy, but was not so happy about the feet trailing on the floor thing, so only ever rode him once because he said he felt "stupid". Then I read your hubby's 5ft 9in. I am 5ft 8in, and ride my welshie no problem. OK, a bit shorter and Sennie is a whiff under 15hh, but not much difference really. He definitely doesn't look too small for me, and (confession) I weigh about the same, if not a bit more (shame!) than your OH.

he should have no problems on a 14hh welshie, my dad is 5ft8 and 14st at the moment and he happily rides my 14hh connemara, and my 14hh NFxTB, (says he feels funny on that one cos he is a SHP). im 5ft4 weight 11.5stone and regularly ride a 12.2 welsh sec b at shows!

newrider.com