How much haylage

I would say 12kg over 24hour period if not eating any grass.

If eating grass during the day you could halve it. A 16hh horse of around 500/550kg should eat around 26lbs a day of hay/haylage (12kg) without any grazing.

It depends on the horse also. If he is a good doer then obviously could do with less.

My Trakehner is 16hh around 500kg. He does keep his weight over winter but could very easily drop off if I don't feed him enough. He gets around 30lbs a day in the winter (with no grass) which is around 14kg.

I hope this helps and I haven't confused you :redface:

I would say 12kg over 24hour period if not eating any grass.

If eating grass during the day you could halve it. A 16hh horse of around 500/550kg should eat around 26lbs a day of hay/haylage (12kg) without any grazing.

It depends on the horse also. If he is a good doer then obviously could do with less.

My Trakehner is 16hh around 500kg. He does keep his weight over winter but could very easily drop off if I don't feed him enough. He gets around 30lbs a day in the winter (with no grass) which is around 14kg.

I hope this helps and I haven't confused you :redface:

Thanks, no thats great and it doesnt take a lot to get me confused! Shes out during the day, in on a night generally keeps her weight well- not too fat, not too skinny (tb x id) I gave her 8kg last night and her hay net was completly empty this morning so think I will feed a little bit more.

She should be eating about 2.5% of her bodyweight each day. If she is out on half decent grazing (assuming you still have grass) she will be eating about half a kilo of grass per hour. So say she's out 9am - 5pm, she will get about 4 kilos of grass. In summer, this will be more as they eat around 0.7Kg per hour, but at this time of year the grass is a bit harder to come by.

Her bodyweight will be around 550Kg, so 2.5% of this is 13.75Kg. Assuming she is eating 4 kg of grass a day, this leaves 9.75Kg to come from somewhere else. If you feed her a concentrate ration, some of this will be taken up by that. So, if for example you feed 1Kg of concentrate a day, (this is about a scoop of hard feed), then you want 8.75Kg of hay to last the rest of the time.

She should be eating about 2.5% of her bodyweight each day. If she is out on half decent grazing (assuming you still have grass) she will be eating about half a kilo of grass per hour. So say she's out 9am - 5pm, she will get about 4 kilos of grass. In summer, this will be more as they eat around 0.7Kg per hour, but at this time of year the grass is a bit harder to come by.

Her bodyweight will be around 550Kg, so 2.5% of this is 13.75Kg. Assuming she is eating 4 kg of grass a day, this leaves 9.75Kg to come from somewhere else. If you feed her a concentrate ration, some of this will be taken up by that. So, if for example you feed 1Kg of concentrate a day, (this is about a scoop of hard feed), then you want 8.75Kg of hay to last the rest of the time.

Woah! You didnt say 'here comes the science bit' lol! Thats a great reply!:wink:

Woah! You didnt say 'here comes the science bit' lol! Thats a great reply!:wink:

Lol! Thanks :) Nutrition is a particular interest of mine, I studied it to Level 3 at college so I think if one thing about my horses' routines is right, it'll be what I feed them! :) Just wait til I start talking about megajoules of digestible energy... lol!!!

newrider.com