How much hay should I give tonight? wwyd?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Tonight I am doing something very rare and letting the yard bring ale in. I usually bring him in after 6pm but they will bring him in about 4pm. He will then be in from 4pm until 6.30am tomorrow when I get up to the yard. How much would you give him. I have 2 sections which I soak for 12 hours but I like to give dry as well. Wwyd? All his hay is double netted to slow him down.

I used to give Belle a small net of hay when she was brought in for me but then she'd get her full net when I got to the yard at 6.30 pm, so if he's going to be in for an extra hour or so maybe another section of hay?

I would guess one extra section for an extra 2 hours, When Jess was in at night she used to get half a standard bale (6-8 sections) for 11 hours, in small holed nets as she's a piggy otherwise she would run out which I don't like. At least if its dry hay if there is any left over you can leave it in for the next night.

Last edited:
Two sections sounds quite good - I think when ours stayed in if Storm got two slices soaked and then a bit of dry on the floor as extra she'd be fine from 8pm until 8am next day. In a double net too. Chloe has hayledge so it has to be more - just a good fat net really (but then I am not watching her weight as such).

Just a thought, if he's going to be in an extra hour - have you a treat ball you could pop some nuts into just to keep him happy? (Storm was scared of hers lol but I don't think yours would be!)

Reactions: Jessey
Thankyou everyone, he dpesnt like treat balls unfortunately think he finds them too frustrating, he will probably have about 4 sections of hay and lots of carrots stuffed in the middle of them so that should keep him busy for a while hopefully!

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com