how much for nice cob with sweetitch?

flump1967

May 19, 2005
new forest
What would you think was reasonable price for 12 year old heavy cob gelding14.2 who is v.safe and quiet ride/drive but who has sweet itch? doesn't put me off as have dealt with sweet itch before- but think it should be reflected in the price. Any suggestions?

id erxpect to pay less if he has sweet itch. maybe 1500 - 2000 (£) or something? my pony was 12 and has sweet itch when i got her, she was £800 (but shes an exmoor, theyre not as er popular as cobs!!)

julia
x

My friend paid £1000 a couple of years back for a 14/14.1hh 4yo cob with sweetitch. That also included his bridle, Boett rug and various other rugs

cob with sweet itch

If the cob is very safe and you feel confident riding him he is probably well worth the money. How many posts do you see on here about people being afraid/wary of hacking out?

Look first at the cob, if he is honest and bombproof, can ride or drive he is probably worth his weight in gold! A change in stable may cure the sweet itch anyway.

budgie

I paid a £1000.00 with tack for Captain 14 months ago. He is 14 2hh ex riding school cob. Confidence giving and very loving. He has an issue with his legs but nothing that cant be solved by clipping and grooming daily. His only fault is he is nappy on solo hacks and lazy in the school but this is because he was used constantly in a school environment. However he does try hard for me with my correct aids. Something I am working on.:)

Hmmm. Person selling is asking £1900 but I think there could be haggle room. If I could get nearer to £1500ish I would be happy.
Very heavy and broad barrelled lad so might even be ok for large OH for slow plods - well muscled (horse not OH!) from lots of driving.
Depend on how viewing goes - if def proceed which I still haven't quite decided.
If he is as safe as I am told then is worth any price to me.
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

So ARE you going to see him and if so, WHEN? You know how we love happy endings.... you WILL keep us informed, won't you? ;)

Pleeeeeease???:rolleyes:

When you have him vetted, why not ask the vet about the sweet itch problem and how it is treated by the present owners. One thing is if in the mane and tail as it is normally he is clipped out, as this may be kinder for him as it does help them. Also cobs do look good hogged as well, I know this is a matter of choice as well for each individual owner so please no one get into this arguement
Hope all goes well and he is the boy of your dreams.!!!

Just to point out that sweetitch is classed as an 'unsoundness' so I would think you have a bit of haggling room BUT if he is as good as his owner's say he is, it isn't too bad a price. Offer £1750 and take it from there.

For anyone who hasn't seen my other thread, I have not proceeded with this one, having been bought a big cobby lad (without sweetitch) as a surprise by my lovely husband. He (the cob) arrives on Tuesday. Thanks to everyone for their response.

Didn't think sweetitch was that much of a problem? My friend just rubs the likely affected areas with a dilution of deosan and hasn't had a problem since.
Malaga started to show symptoms on his tail this year and I did the same and it went away too.
I'm going to try an experiment with flowers of sulphur this year to see if that works.
(sorry-not being dismissive with your problem as I'm a novice with these things)
P.S read your other post well done,I'm a great believer in that if you wait the right animal will turn up eventually:D

newrider.com