How much does your horse get complimented??

Apr 21, 2007
uk! :)
Random question! Does your horse get complimented alot? Whether on it's looks, or do people come over and tell you that he's going so nicely when you school etc? Or do you go to shows and get nice words from people/judges? Or do you maybe have one of those lovely types that no one ever really notices!

I wouldnt say my horse is stunning but he gets quite a few comments on his colouring (nice dapply grey) and loads of people say hes "aww hes so cute" because he is pretty cute and cheeky. But definately doesnt have the "look at me" factor. We have yet to be complimented on much ridden wise! Instructor did say he "has a lovely trot" though :eek:.

One thing I am proud of is he is generally quite well behaved for a baby and when he moved yards no one could believe he was only four because he was so good :D And he hacks out really nicely which people always comment on when do we go out.

Summer here with tourists crawling about is boring as they get out of their cars with the camera and want lots of photos, which is great, but sometimes when the boys are fit can be a bit of a problem!

Mine is a baby faced, chestnut, 13.2hh new forest mare, with a grey coloured mane, blaze and four white socks, so constantly, but shes a total monster! Bless her!

Shes not mareish or nasty or anything but just very cheeky and naughty.

Jenny

No one ever see's mine as they're hidden behind my house and garden! :D

When Charlie was competing he used to get a lot of compliments (he is a star and knows it lol!) and i always get nice comments from the horsey people i meet on hacks, though they're mostly from the dressage yard down the road with their horses heads tied down with draw reins for "schooling" on a hack :rolleyes: So im fairly sure my fat, hairy, stumpy pony does not look that impressive! A friend of mine tries to talk me into letting her daughter have him everytime she sees me though lol!! She absolutely adores him, which is nice!!

Una of course gets compliments whenever she's taken out as she holds herself so beautifully and looks so elegant even though she's usually hairy and muddy!! Even non-horsey people come over and say how gorgeous she is and want to know what breed she is etc etc!

I always try to say nice things about other peoples horses too though :) I think its polite.

I get a lot especially when am out hacking. We go through a little village which is full of little old people and loads of them come out to say hello and say how lovely he is. Gives me a proud mummy moment :D

Lucy and I get stopped in the street all the time. We can't go down the road without someone ooohing and ahhhing. And since our school is visible from the pavement, we often get an audience standing by the wall to watch. What can I say, she's a stunner!

Here's what we usually look like hacking around:
P9270055.JPG

Last edited:
My big 17hh IDxTB bay gelding gets stopped all the time, and even slows the traffic cos my husband rides him with lots of hi viz and he looks like a police horse :))))) They ride through the park and even call it the park patrol. OH measures ride enjoyment by number of times his horse is admired.

I get stopped a lot by mums and kids as mine is a Haflinger (and she has a very dishy face too, so v pretty with a star and snip). They absolutely love her but do tend to run towards her yelling and waving their arms which for a 4 yo is quite a lot to deal with :))). My friend calls her the 'little Lemon Tart' :)))))))):D

3 of mine can go anywhere, do anything and barely even get a mention. One of them, can't step hoof off the place without being mobbed by adoring fans.

Yesterday, I had her at the local hunter barn, tied to the trailer and she got herself all tied up in her lead-rope (bad mom), so I let her free and she proceeded to loon about passaging up and down by the arena with her lil tail high over her back (hussy!). She did look amazing though, and everyone stopped to admire :D

ETA : p.s. this little one, obviously

TinyRide4.jpg

Last edited:
Usually get approached at shows to say how nicely Honey is going.
This one person, who goes to most shows that me and Hun go to always compliments how she is jumping etc, she saw us at our very first show and even with Honey stopping in practice arena, throwing me into the judges box :eek: and throwing my best friend off in the arena, she said Honey has potential, so whenever Honey goes bad or whatever i remember what that one lady said and have always thought about it.

Oh and saw her at the last show which was weird as I hadnt seen her since 6+months ago, and she said that Honey is going great and knows that she did have the potential and would have gone this far and will go higher :)

I get quite alot of ignorance from spoilt teenagers at the yard 'dissing' Robbie, but the more older, mature people at my yard really do like him and think hes an absolute stunner (not gonna disagree there ;))

Lucy and I get stopped in the street all the time. We can't go down the road without someone ooohing and ahhhing. And since our school is visible from the pavement, we often get an audience standing by the wall to watch. What can I say, she's a stunner!

Some times a half hour hack can take forever cant it! :D

the little manchester/scottish guy who helps out at my yard calls my horse"bonnie" which i guess is a compliment. every one thinks hes hansome, and of course his cheeky personality always helps.

when out at shows my pony has always been complimented and i have had lots of people asking if shes for sale. once got offered 3000 which might not sound much, but i had just told the guy i bought her for 650!(my best ever buy!)

At shows ,i usually get quiet a few comments about Nelly,hes not been to a show this year yet,will have to see what they think of the new look nelly,in the tack shop this morning someone noticed him on my mob,"ooooo thats a lovely horse"
Its nice to hear,i thinkss he's luffly too.

Photo-0133.jpg

Some times a half hour hack can take forever cant it! :D

After a recent spate of colics at the yard I went door to door to speak to all the neighbours to see if anyone had thrown over grass cutting .. Of course I went on Lucy. I think we had a trail of admirers about a mile long following us down the street ;). Everyone wanted a chat -- let's call it a community service in an underprivileged neighbourhood!

dougan gets complimented nearly everyday:) an then little kids at shows goes that shire getting moody when he starts rearing and he's only 15.2
2289574444_07d37eb5f3.jpg

Yes I normally get:

"Oh you must really love him." (Because no one else would)
"Aren't you brave?" (He tried to have my fingers off yesterday)
"Doesn't he have a nice summer coat?" (Nice to see there was a horse under all that mud)

newrider.com