How much does your farrier/barefoot trimmer charge?

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
A friend is thinking of training as a farrier, and wants to know the going rate, of, barefoot, front shoes, full set etc.. thank you very muchie for your replies, every little helps :biggrin:

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
I pay £97 for a full new set.

Having said that, I certainly wouldn't be paying every farrier that, and certainly not one who had just started.

My farrier has done it for years, not much he wouldn't know about horses and their feet, and he still goes on courses to learn more. He understands balance, the muscular structure of horses, where a horse has pain, and has a fab attitude to horses.

The yard farrier, who is pretty basic, shoes short so the horses don't lose them and most of the horses he shoes have got quite peculiar looking feet. He charges £60 quid a new set.

What I would say is that there are a tremendous amount of new farriers around at the moment - there was a shortage at one time and now there is a surplus.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Barefoot trim £28, also a trained farrier. I maintain in between as you can do so currently. That may change though.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
My farrier used to charge £45 for a full set and I have to say he is a fantastic farrier, been a farrier for years and is recommended by our vets, I used him on recommendation from my RI though, my trimmer charges £35 but is also well worth it so far.

Y

Yann

Farrier was about £56 for a full set last time I used him, trims cost me nothing cos I do them myself :D

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
If they are thinking of training to be a farrier, based soley on the going rate for shoes today, tell them not to do it.

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
£20 for a trim all round, £35 for fronts and a trim on the back, £65 for a full set. Most of the farriers round our way (Glasgow) charge around this - think the most I've heard for a full set of shoes is £75.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I feel so out of the loop. The last time I had a set of shoes it was £45!
To be honest I understand the increase in costs but surely some of you are paying in the excess.
Shoes make having a horse very expensive-glad I don't use and have boots.

Tillytoo

Dec 2, 2010
east sussex
£20 for a trim all round, £35 for a back trim and fronts, I'm not sure about a full set as I've never had them. But he has good and uncomplicated feet, one of the TBs on the yard is about £90 for a full set, and he has them every 6 weeks!

Tina2011

Mar 23, 2012
Gateway to europe
I pay around £80 every six to eight weeks depending on the time of year. This is for 2 lots of trims and another trim and front shoes. The actual shoes themselves only cost about £5. Its the trimming and fitting that cost the money.

I am always telling my farrier I am in the wrong job. I wouldn't turn my nose up at £80 for around an hours work lol. Mind you it can be dangerous and back breaking work, I suspect my three are one of his 'doddles' especially as he get coffee and food thrown in lol.