How much does it cost to keep a horse?

How long is a piece of string ;):D? Varies so much you can't pin a cost on it - if you have a poor-doer TB with terrible feet that you compete with and keep on full livery in the commuter belt then it's going to be much more expensive than keeping a good doer Shetland with feet of granite as a companion on grass livery in a rural area ;) - really very much depends i'm afraid :)!

Down south my mare would cost about £400 without any extra unexpected expenses on a part livery service.
I haven't had a full month up north yet so have no prices to compare as of yet. It is looking to be alot cheaper though.

Don't know where you are...but in the South East it is very expensive. I pay £700 per month for full livery, shoes and insurance. Lessons and supliments/riding wear/tack are all extra on top of that (it's like having a second mortgage) :eek:

It depends on where you live and how you want to keep your horse :D

Too much!!!! I dread to think, but here goes..... Winter

Per month...
Stable £110
Hay £55-£72 (depends on whether staying in due to poor weather)
Straw £32
Feed £35
Shoes £35
Insurance £30

That's basic, basic costs........

If you spend £50 going out at the weekend and can afford to buy yourself shoes/handbags etc without going into the red, then you'll probably be ok. Course you'll never go out again and won't need nice shiny,pointy heeled shoes, just the occasional pair of hard wearing yard boots and wellies. And handbags ? nope...nice deep pockets will do.
Mine cost approximately £200 each a month with basic extras like worming/ jabs/farriery/DIY livery/bedding/feed included.
Insurance, dentist, saddler, physio, instructor all in addtion.

We keep 40 for the same price a lady in the next village pays to keep two of a different breed.

We don't insure our lot for vets bills, simply as any kind of surgery, apart from basic stuff is not available to us........and the vet knows if he comes up with any silly bills I'll shoot him before I shoot the horse! :D :D

Reactions: Izzymarie220
Farrier to check feet are balanced x 3 yearly - £20 x 3

Grazing per week £10 x 52

salt/mineral blocks x 3 yearly - £7 x 3

Vet for vaccinations, teeth etc x 1 yearly - £50

Bale of hay/week (I have excellent sheep grazing with grass for most of the year) for approx 15 - 20 weeks/year £2.50 x 20

That's all that I MUST pay for ie £13.50 per week averaged over the year.
Of course, the sky's the limit over and above that. She is not insured for vet's bills, but i am a gold member of the BHS for public liability.

A novices' thoughts

I can tell you what my Tommy costs - about £500 per month - full liverey, no riding etc but I can also tell you what he is worth - the world!! sounds sentimental and is but as a first time owner @ 45 I cannot put a value on my hairy haflinger - shoes? handbag? who needs 'em horses? who can do without them:)

Thank you to everyone who posted a reply. Sadly can't afford a horse at the moment but will keep my fingers crossed and who knows. Will have to be happy with the weekly lessons.:D

I think the key is to save as much cash as you estimate it will cost to keep a horse.

If you can do this easilly every month then have a closer look at costs in your area. You can then see if you have the budget available to be an owner.

If you can't afford to do this then you can't afford a horse.

In the meantime you will have started to save a tidy sum in order to be able to buy the horse and the tonnes of gear you need to set up but forgot to budget for!

Reactions: rosie1985
How long is a piece of string...
It depends on how you want to keep your horse.
Some basics will be the same - eg wormers and insurance. MY insurance is £45 insurance for 2 per month.
But livery options varies massively. You can go for the basic grazing £10-20 a week, DIY, part and full reflect the effort froim the yard staff work.
My horses live out and cost about £200 a month plus then there are rugs/tack etc.
How is that possible?

Just wanted a general idea on what you needed to buy eg. rugs for outdoor weather. Horse would probably be kept on diy/part livery cost haylege or does this normally come in with livery costs etc. Any advice is appreciated.
Depends on the horse, but a turnout rug , stable rug, fly sheets, fly masks , saddle, stirrup irons , bridle , saddle pad , dandy brush, curry comb, body brush, mane and tale brush , face brush, hoof brush hoof pick, clippers , price of livery depends where in the country you are some include straw and haylage , some don’t, some will have a sand school. Some won’t , some have a warm shower facility some won’t , to buy a horse shower couple of hundred quid, be aware it is heavy work, you want to get a pre purchase vet check to make sure your not being sold a dud, £350 upwards, then there are various other stuff shampoo, conditioner, hoof oil, toys, , hope this helps xx

Depends on the horse, but a turnout rug , stable rug, fly sheets, fly masks , saddle, stirrup irons , bridle , saddle pad , dandy brush, curry comb, body brush, mane and tale brush , face brush, hoof brush hoof pick, clippers , price of livery depends where in the country you are some include straw and haylage , some don’t, some will have a sand school. Some won’t , some have a warm shower facility some won’t , to buy a horse shower couple of hundred quid, be aware it is heavy work, you want to get a pre purchase vet check to make sure your not being sold a dud, £350 upwards, then there are various other stuff shampoo, conditioner, hoof oil, toys, , hope this helps xx
Very old thread! Have a look round the forum and join in :)

Reactions: lauren123
newrider.com