How much does i cost to build your own stable?

Murphley Moo

Jun 5, 2009
We have a friend who has some land and stables on it. There are no stables available but he has said that next year when i aim to buy my own horse i can have some land (at a cost of £21 a week) and can build my own stable on it. Just wondered how much it would cost to build a stable?

how long is a piece of string?

depends on materials, dimensions, fittings, build quality etc

take a look at the online specs. for wooden stables and cost the materials locally
dont forget its not just timber/roof tresses/roofing materials/doors/door fittings you need to include bolts,nails, the lot

it might be a good idea to see if any of the sectional stable suppliers are selling off 'show room' or used stock, also sometimes second hand wooden sectional stabling sometimes comes up on eBAy

eta, also, it might be best to get a mobile stable, then you can take it more easily if you leave.
otherwise...dont forget foundations, they cost a bomb

water supply, electricity....? will you be paying to have these laid on?

Last edited:
Costs a fair bit mate if you have it done professionally,my friend who has her own land paid 3k+ to have two stables built.
Guess you could build your own for a lot less,but would have to make sure it was done properly with certain amount of foundation etc if it was a permanent type stable.Then what would happen if you left?? couldn't take it with you exactly lol

Have to say £21 per week and having to build your own stable is rather expensive!! DIY livery with stable already made on a really good yard would only be £15-20 per week.

Sorry that probably not what you wanted to hear,but don't think you're getting a good deal there bud,and sounds like an awful lot of hassle for you.

yes. pp isnt cheap or always easy to get

sorry OP, if we're not saying what you hoped we'd say, but it really doesnt sound like a great deal either at £21 as said above

Thanks everyone - i'll scrap that idea then! I must admit i was a little concerned that i may build the stable then he may say 'thanks now goodbye' !!!!

a work colleaugue of mine owns land and rents a huge field out with a stable and a shelter for £250 a year
I asked him to chuck this woman out and let me have it...wouldnt that be great!!

£21 a week plus your own expense is a lot

newrider.com