How much does gelding cost?

micki

Sep 24, 2008
Notts
I know it varies from 1 vet to the next but roughly how much would you expect to pay for a horse to be gelded? I'm looking at a yearling colt that is for sale and he'll need gelding asap (not dropped yet!).

My friends just had a quote for her colt -

round about £280/300 to get done at the surgery (apparently is better as stitches can be put in to prevent infection in the winter) which is a day case

or

£200/220 to get done at the yard with no stitches - although high risk of infection and needing the vet back out (must be turned out after to prevent swelling and pain).

Hope this helps!!! :D

I've had several done at the yard with no problem, to be honest I'm not convinced that stitches would prevent infection, in addition the wound needs to drain freely and it will be less able to do that with stitches in. I've usually paid between £120 - £150 including call out depending on drugs used.

Thanks everyone. I've rung up the vets today and they said it's about £200-£250. The person selling the colt i'm looking at has said their vet charges £140, how can there be such a difference in the same area?

newrider.com