How much does full livery cost - owner wants to pay me to look after their horse

Russet

Nov 14, 2009
I've been asked by the owner of a horse if I would be interested in looking after him, as she hasn't got the time. I'd like to do it, and would like some idea of how much I should ask for.

It would be the usual - mucking out, feed and water, turn out and bring in, change rugs, hose legs and pick out feet. Obviously this would be two visits a day. Please can you tell me what would be a fair amount for this. I was thinking along the lines of £7-8 a day. Thanks.

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Around here you'd pay £10 per day minimum. £8 sounds very, very reasonable to me! It would depend on whether you have to make a special trip or if you're there already, of course.

doolally_tap

Jun 3, 2007
One of the yards near me charges £17.00 per day for full livery, to include all what you have stated apart from hosing legs.

LexxLizz

Dec 11, 2011
My RS yard charges £65 per week for full livery - which works out to be around £9-£9.50 a day.

This includes turn-out, bring in, feet picked, muck out, feed and water.
Hay and straw is included - if you want any other substrate you have to pay for and supply this yourself. And the feed is the standard feed they use - again anything different, you pay/suppy.

If anything else needs to be given/supplied/administered (such as meds or treats/toys), it is by arrangement and a cost is discussed.

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
Are you there anyway? Or is it a special trip to a yard?

The nearest livery yard to me charges £25 per day for full livery, not including any riding, and she is full! But she does have a very good rep.

Remember just breaking down the £65 down per day does not work as she is still paying for a stable and grazing to the YO, its the services you need to cost up. So if its £65 per day, take away the diy cost..say £25 then divide the £40 by 7 if its 7 days full livery, so £5.72 per day for services....

I would charge around £10 per day if you were not going already as fuel has to be a consideration or I would get her to pay the livery bill for your horse as a trade off maybe, and that could get away from some tax implications if you were to earn money from doing it etc.

Last edited:

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
My full livery fees (not including riding) are £445 in winter and £260 in summer when he can go out 24/7. I average out summer and winter so pay £373 per month. We have top class facilities and get an excellent service. Absolutetly everything is included and the horses get a very high standard of care.

Russet

Nov 14, 2009
Thanks very much for your replies, which are very helpful. I did wonder if what I was thinking of was a bit on the cheap side, as I would be making a special trip there. I'm in Essex which isn't the cheapest area, so maybe £10 a day would be fair, as a few people have suggested.

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
On our yard, though our yard is mainly DIY. We do provide full, it includes, feeding , changing rugs, turning out, bringing in and mucking out and thats £7 per day. I know my old RS charged £60 a week for full livery- 7 days a week etc and another RS charged £70 a week!

tazzy-anne

Sep 27, 2007
North Staff's
Our yard is DIY predominantly but YO will do 'jobs' or part DIY or even full livery on occasions. There is a list that goes along the lines of £1.50 for t/o or b/in, £2.50 for t/o or b/i Inc rugs etc.
Or she will do full livery for £10 a day. This is just her services - not Inc standard livery, not Inc bedding/hay etc - just the actual services - take out, rugs, bring in, muck out, prep tea/ brek, feet etc.

So I guess that's the equivalent of what you are asking about.

CMP

Jan 15, 2010
When I was on an assisted yard. I paid £25 per week and I used to have the big man on full livery for a few days per week. I was charged £7 and theu used my own feed, shavings etc. YO was obviously there already so I think £10 would be fair.

I would pay that to have somebody trustworthy look after my beastie.

Maggiemooo

Sep 1, 2009
Chelmsford, Essex
I have a lovely lady who does mine for me and I pay £10 a day for:-

Morning Visit

2 stables to be mucked out
Haynets put in (already done by me)

Afternoon Visit

Bring in 2 horses
Pick hooves
Feed all 4 horses (again made up by me already)

And I'm in Essex

dancing lucy

May 23, 2008
stalybridge
Blinking ekk id better tell woman on our yard she is undercharging she goes up anyway to her horses but she will give brekky, change rugs and turn out for £1 if you want her to muck out, do water and nets it goes up to £2 and again at night if you want bringing in and change rugs and give tea its another £1

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
Blinking ekk id better tell woman on our yard she is undercharging she goes up anyway to her horses but she will give brekky, change rugs and turn out for £1 if you want her to muck out, do water and nets it goes up to £2 and again at night if you want bringing in and change rugs and give tea its another £1

She probably loves doing these things, and already being there, doesn't really see it as anything more than just that..