How much do you drink?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I have recently given up alcohol completely - it's only been 10 days but I feel so much better. I'm sleeping better, have a completely clear head and am thinking much more clearer as well. I have always been a heavy drinker and while I only used to drink at the weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday), I was drinking far, far too much. When I added up the cost, calories and negative impact it was having on me, I decided to quit.

I'm interested to know how much the 'average' person drinks. Do you drink everyday or just weekends? What do you drink, and most importantly can you easily recognise when you have had enough and stop drinking?

I drink at special occasions, like xmas and have some at new year, and occasionally when I go out, but I very rarely drink.

I have never drank. Not because I am a tee=totler I just don't like the taste.:eek:
I have tasted 4 drinks in my whole lifetime and ugh - give me a big glass of chocolate milk.:D
I have also never smoked except for a few puffs of 1 cigarette -stupidly thinking when in high school==
well if I smoke I won't eat and I'LL BE THINNER!!!
It was good I choked and never took another puff!
I have also never tried any drugs.
My horses have always been" MY HIGH"

My husband does not drink a lot and likes the Heavy dark Beer/Ale and drinks it slowly to enjoy it.
He said he stopped smoking years ago cold turkey one day when LOL he did not want to pay
35 cents a pack anymore!!

Reactions: Gimp
I don't drink much at all now. Only really if it is a special occasion so a birthday, on holiday or Christmas/New year.

I sometimes buy myself a little bottle (the ones that are just 1 glass) of low cal/low alcohol wine, maybe once or twice a month.

Scotland has new drink drive limits now and because I will be driving a lot (with me doing karaoke and or visiting family) I won't be drinking much at all. I'm too worried about alcohol not being out of my system from the night before so if I will be driving early-ish the next day I won't be drinking at all.

Reactions: Jessey
I perhaps drink once a month if I had to average it out, and normally drink Jack daniels which I love so tend to drink way more than I should. Ocassioanlly I will have a beer or glass of wine at home but only really if I have visitors as I banned myself from drinking alone years ago as a bottle of wine every night became somewhat of a habit :eek::oops:

Well last Friday I had three bottles of wine and 2 glasses champagne. That I remember.
Usually, I'm not a drinker at all, but it was Christmas work do and I'd just finished exams the day before and was very stressed out!

I have the odd bottle of bulmers, or the odd bottle of wine, but living alone, I'd likely get called an alcoholic if I partook every weekend. Generally I always like the idea of having a drink, but when it comes to actually sitting down and having one, I can't be bothered and end up in my bed. I'd say I drink maybe once a month.

Maybe a glass a wine occassionally - I think it probably averages out to once a fortnight I will have about once a glass. I certainly don't drink a lot.

Unlike all you virtuous types I drink regularly!

We always drink wine with dinner in the evening. I will generally have 2 glasses - about 300 m;l of wine I expect. Sometimes less. If I have more I feel bad the next day and my body tells me to stop, but I know that what I drink at the moment is more than the recommended amount.

Used to be a heavy drinker in my late twenties and early thirties. Since finding horses OH and I discovered that they don't mix with a hangover very well and tbh we needed to tone it down a bit! We have weak lager with our evening meal every night. No difference on the weekends - same every night come Christmas or birthdays. We are generally too tired to drink much more! Normally share four cans of 2% low alcohol Sainsburys Basics lager and share a can of Fosters. Rock n roll eh?!
OH loves wine but we are too skint to afford it atm.

Reactions: Gimp
I banned myself from drinking alone years ago as a bottle of wine every night became somewhat of a habit :eek::oops:

I used to be like that until we limited ourselves to weekend drinking, but at the weekend my husband and I easily get through about 6 bottles of wine. It's ridiculous really, I don't even know why we do it.

I barely drink, perhaps once every 3 months. I don't really enjoy it. I nearly always have a glass of wine if we go out for a posher meal as I don't know what else to order haha.

6 bottles between 2 over 2/3 days is alot!

In answer to the question about knowing when to stop - yes I do. If we partied until dawn I was always the one clearing up and offering food to those who had over indulged (used to believe a sausage buttie cured everything!) lol

we generally don't drink, but i will drink when we go out for a party or to a friends for dinner for example.

I'm not keen on the taste either, though love a nice cold cider in the summer!

I barely drink, perhaps once every 3 months. I don't really enjoy it. I nearly always have a glass of wine if we go out for a posher meal as I don't know what else to order haha.

6 bottles between 2 over 2/3 days is alot!

That's 6 bottles between us, not each - but pretty much a bottle a night each. It's loads, but still less than I used to drink. I never really thought about it before, my parents are heavy drinkers and it's just something that I have always done. I haven't been that happy recently so I am hoping that clearing my mind of booze will help me think more clearly. It's working so far. I really don't think that I have the ability to drink lightly. I can't just have one glass, it always ends up with the whole bottle. Stopping completely is the only way I can cut down.

Reactions: Jessey
I learnt recently on my alcohol licencing course that your body gets rid of about a unit of alcohol per hour (while you are awake, slows when you sleep) quite scary really when some people I know easily drink 20 units in a night and then drive to work the next morning :/

I don't know about anyone else but I've noticed a shift towards non drinking being "fashionable" or is that just my age group? I do think it can get a bit sad being completely blotto every weekend once you get over 40! I have a friend who is 44 and gets sooooo bladdered on a weekend still he doesn't see much of Sunday! And he has kids and a wife, so not like a single guy out partying. He says he likes to work hard (which he does to be fair) and play hard. He never understands why we get up early to do the horses, he thinks its dreadful!lol we are like chalk and cheese really - but he's our oldest friend and there will always be something between us.

I also learnt about the damage that long term excessive drinking does to your body, just not worth it at all.

A little of what you fancy does you good though. There are alleged health benefits to a glass of wine with your evening meal (wonder if that applies to weak lager too?!)

newrider.com