How much did you knock off your horses asking price?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I am a great believer in getting the best value for my money and as a general rule I will never pay the asking price for something. I'm interested to know how much was your horse originally advertised for, and how much did you pay? If you are selling your horse, how much below the asking price would you accept?

Ummm I totally agree with haggling - I haggle over anything...except I have to admit I never haggled over any of the horses! Oops!

I paid £1800 for Rosie about 6 years ago. £2700 for moet 4.5 years ago. And £2100 for major (my sisters horse) about 5.5 years ago.

Not sold a horse before but have sold cars and bikes - generally I suppose I would allow for a 10% reduction on the asking price

Last edited:
I asked for money off Joy, don't ask don't get, but seller said she was priced cheaply at £1950 including tack and odds and sods so that's the price I paid. Given I'd have gone up to about £3000 for her as I'd already fallen in love I didn't haggle hard, I just asked nicely.

I was in a very lucky position but to begin with he was advertised for a good few grand more than what I paid, then I still got a grand off a new price but the situation for seller and me was unique so I was very lucky:happy:

i paid the asking price for angel (all of £800!) but they threw in a bridle and a pile of miscellaneous items (haynet, sponge, grooming box, leadropes, a dishcloth ....)!

I also paid full price for appley (again, she was only 500) because I knew the seller/breeder well, already had her on loan and didn't see any point in starting to haggle.

if i was to pay more than a grand for a horse (I doubt I ever will!!), yes, i'd probly try and get the price down!

Julia
x

I paid 300 for June because I wanted her there and then and didn't want anyone else to have her. Jazz was up for sale at the same time but was more expensive (even tho rob wanted me to have jazz not June!)
She came with 1 headcollar that was later claimed back (and then reclaimed by me at a later date ;) )

Jazz came up for sale and I went to view him in Newcastle. He was up for 275, colt with only 1 dropped ball at 16 month, she had broken him and he looked wild eyed and totally bewildered. I offered her 200 and she refused point blank. After a bit of negotiation I paid the full price but got delivery included. He turned up in a tiny sheep trainer and they had to lift him out. God knows how they got him in!
He came with a bridle and a headcollar and lead rope.
Truth be told i would have paid silly money for him out of pity!

Ziggy had been advertised at £3750, but then his price started to come down (because of his "issues" presumably). I went to see him when he was advertised at £2000. I offered £1500 and could see the seller was tempted but she held me to £1700, and she was happy to be shot of him at that price.

Mickey was advertised at £2500 and she refused to drop :(

My old cob was advertised at 2200, she dropped to 1800 then 1500 then I eventually paid 1200 lol and sold him 7 months later for 3300

I didn't.:redface:

I didn't even try! But she was delivered for me, which I didn't expect.

Then spent time in a panic thinking this maybe was because she was a bad loader!:frown:

Luckily, she loads fine, lorry or trailer. :angel:

I'm not confrontational enough to haggle. If I think a horse is overpriced I'd rather not go and see it rather than try to knock it's price down, I just don't have enough "front" :redface:

I think the best one I managed - and it's really a pathetic attempt - was a few years ago, I went to see one that was about 10 miles away and advertised for £895 and I offered £900 delivered and they accepted it.

When I sold little William, it was only 3m after he'd arrived aged 4m so I readvertised him for the £350 I'd paid and wouldn't drop as I'd got him used to being handled, had his feet trimmed and paid for his first vaccination. The dad of the family that bought him really tried to get me to drop too but I stuck to my guns (go me!) and in the end the daughter came over and said "DAD! What are you LIKE? Stop embarrassing us - I can't believe you are trying to haggle!!!" so he shut up then :giggle:

I rarely buy anything 'big' without haggling or trying to get something thrown in- get it from my Dad!

When I bought Jade she was advertised at £2500 and I got her for £2200. Magic was also advertised at £2500 and, despite my best haggling efforts the dealer wouldn't knock anything off. My Dad came to the second viewing, and managed to get £50 knocked off. I figured better than nothing- I'd made my mind up that he was coming home with me anyway, and would have cheerfully paid £3000 for him! Both horses I got delivery thrown in :)

Kal was offered for £4,600 with no tack or equipment - I paid £4K and got nice quality leather bridle, martingale, Albion jumping saddle, polypad, two sets of bandages (and gamgees), Eskadron boots and five rugs (three lovely H/W, one show fleece and one thermatex) thrown in - probably at least £1,500 of "stuff."

Bargain!

P

Last edited:
They were asking £1500 for Sioned as a Yearling and I was determined to get something off the price..............

They really didn't want to budge, said they didn't really care if she sold or not they were more than happy to keep her.

I told them in the end it was a 'principal' thing with me, and they laughed and dropped £50 for my cheek:redface::biggrin:

Bert........do you know what, I 'forgot' to even try to haggle !!

I forgot to haggle :unsure:

Even when said horse went lame, I still forgot to haggle :D

But I only actually paid £50 in cash for him, the rest I paid off by working Saturday’s on the yard, during which time I gained an NVQ and a Coaching Certificate :D plus I was having regular lessons on other horses as part of my ‘wages’.

Not to mention I also got him delivered to my new yard and the loan of some tack until I could buy my own. :D

I don't haggle with mine. I probably pay over the odds but I don't view anything more than I'm willing to pay if it turns out to be perfect for me. If it's not exactly what I want I don't buy.
I hate people haggling when selling, but know a lot of people do. I tend to advertise for what I think they're worth & as hate selling anyway, wait for somebody who's willing to pay close to their asking price.

Nothing. Paid full up money for both of ours. I believe they were worth what the seller was asking, and I didn't want to lose either of them.

I paid £200 less for Archie but then had to have transported up from Northumberland ..... Seller included his tack and rugs but I bought him new tack once he'd arrived

I paid £500 less for Rocky than what they wanted as IMO he wasnt worth what they wanted for him:wink:Yes, he's a lovely steady hack but he does have a few health issues. He arrived with a bridle and two rugs - and his old sharer very kindly delivered him to me.

I'm amazed at how little some of you have paid for your horses.

The way I see it, is that the less I pay for the horse, the more money I will have to spend on him in terms of tack, lessons, rugs etc. I don't really think that you can ever say that any horse is worth a certain amount of money. It all depends on who comes along to see him, and how much they want to spend.

My husband uses the same theory when buying a car. You would never pay full price for a car, so why would you for a horse? I also think that anyone who puts a price tag and 'ono' next to it is expecting to be made an offer.

newrider.com