How many times would you...

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
..take your horse round a clear round jumping course? On the same day obviously

Once, twice, three times? More?

Just interested to know, thankyou!

Ive ridden two rounds in which you jumped fences 1-10 then if clear you jumped 1-8 immediately afterwards so hoping for a double clear then I did this in the next class too.

Ive also jumped in clear round class 3 times just 1-10 or whatever it was.

Think it depends on the horse's fitness and the course etc.

In my old horse's youth, we were always requested at pony club camp and x country training days to give a lead to the younger kids on ponies.

This meant we might have to go round and round and round the jumps or the X country course over a dozen times in the day. But he was fit, hunting in winter and endurance riding in summer.

Depends on the horse's fitness and experience and the height of the jumps, but also what you're aiming to achieve.

When I take the ponies out to training shows they might do 2 rounds (crosspoles/40cm as a warmup and then the 60/70/80cm), but being youngsters and only exercised once a week, I certainly wouldn't ask them to go round 3 times! When I'm doing training shows with Jam (we do anything between 90cm and 1.10m) we only do the one class - unlike with the ponies, this is not a fitness issue, but there's no logical reason for us to do two classes, so we don't! My boss's horses only ever jump 1 class in a day - so a maximum of 2 rounds if they get into a jumpoff.

If you're doing clear-round classes, personally I don't see the benefit of going round the same height more than once, if the first round went well. If the first round was rubbish I'd definitely do a 2nd, and iron out our mistakes. If I only did 1 round in that class, I'd probably do the next height up as well. If I'd done 2 rounds in the first class, I wouldn't then go on to jump a bigger class. I don't see the point in going round 3 times in one day.

ETA most shows here are official/affiliated and the only shows that do clear-round type classes are "training shows" - these are mostly done by RS riders on RS horses, and horse-owners without a competition license, and these classes always state in the rules that no horse/pony can jump more than 3 times in the day.

Last edited:
I took Ben out to clear round jumping last weekend, and he went so well in our class that I decided to leave it there and not do anymore. Lots of people were telling me that I should do the next height up, but I felt that he had gone really well and we have achieved exactly what I wanted to (we got a clear round!) so I wanted to end on a good note.

I am going out again on 5th Jan and will aim to do 2 classes this time. I wouldn't do any more than that at this stage yet.

If he was fit a couple of clear rounds and a couple of classes but we only jump less than 60 cms

I've taken my horse round 4 times. I did the cross pole class as a warm up then did the 60,70 and 80cm. She was fit enough to be doing it and didn't even break a sweat. It wasn't a particularly long or challenging course.

Usually I used to take her round 2-3 times. I don't think ever set myself a limit, usually I see how things are going at the time although I think 3/4 would be my max and we aren't talking a huge height. I often did the x-poles to warm up if the warm up ring was full or we'd hacked up. I've jumped the same height class twice if the first time didn't go well.

Whenever I've gone to big jumping classes I've only ever entered 2-3 classes. I've also jumped her twice round a 60-80cm pony club XC course in one day, one individually and once as a pair. Never did her any harm and she was still full of running at the end.

If I ever get brave enough to do a weeny little clear round, if I manage to go clear I will stop while ahead! So probably once with me, but let the kids go on the lead rein course with him, so probably four times in all, three of the them step overs with no weight on board.

I've also jumped her twice round a 60-80cm pony club XC course in one day, one individually and once as a pair. Never did her any harm and she was still full of running at the end.

I can imagine Rubic would go on jumping all day. She's always reminded me of a patchy equivalent of the Duracell bunny :giggle:

I can imagine Rubic would go on jumping all day. She's always reminded me of a patchy equivalent of the Duracell bunny :giggle:

She never seemed to tire of it! She loved jumping and XC was just lots of gallopy-jumpy fun for her!!!

newrider.com